No more Ebay bucks for bullion

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

No more Ebay bucks for bullion

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:57 pm

justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: No more Ebay bucks for bullion

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:35 pm

:evil: :twisted: Corporate scum!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:52 pm

I agree. It stinks on ice. Ebay probably wants to drive the Ebay bucks towards items with lighter demand. Apparently there are no demand issues for PMs.

I'm open to suggestions as to what to my EBs on. Suggestions?
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:00 am

theo wrote:I agree. It stinks on ice. Ebay probably wants to drive the Ebay bucks towards items with lighter demand. Apparently there are no demand issues for PMs.

I'm open to suggestions as to what to my EBs on. Suggestions?

Lingerie
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Robarons » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:07 am

Looks like its only for those goods under the coin or bullion category... could you put them under antiques or something and still get that discount?
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:10 am

humm looks like it's only for the bullion category...not 100% sure as to what it's saying
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:28 am

I think they should lower the percentage charged for FV to sellers of bullion since they don't want eBay bucks to be part of the calculation. I can't see how anyone can realisticly sell bullion on eBay and eat all those fees. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby aristobolus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:35 am

We will still be able to use these bucks for silver/gold coins under the categories of Coins: US, Coins: World, etc. Just not under Bullion. Why? Not sure.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:33 am

I just got the email this evening from Ebay and was going to post it here but I guess I'm a little late. That extra 2% back on all my silver coin purchases was a nice bonus. Starting Oct 1st I'll be avoiding the Bullion section and only searching for my silver in the Coins:US, Coins:Canada, and Coins:World categories.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Double3 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:34 am

Yep this sucks. Maybe the prices will come down a little but I doubt it.

PM me and I'll tell ya how you should be able to get cash back after this takes affect. Right now it works great with the ebay bucks.
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:51 am

Well I thought I would be breaking the news.... :lol:

Dear rodebaugh:

As always, eBay is committed to bringing you amazing deals on gold and silver. However, to do so, we can no longer offer eBay Bucks for purchases from the Bullion category within Coins & Paper Money. This change will take effect October 1, 2011. To learn more about earning and redeeming eBay Bucks, visit the Frequently Asked Questions page. And remember that you can always tell whether an item qualifies for eBay Bucks by looking for the earn amount below the price on the item description page.

To review the updated eBay Bucks Terms & Conditions, please visit http://pages.ebay.com/rewards/terms.html.

We appreciate your eBay Bucks membership and hope you'll continue to enjoy the benefits provided by the eBay Bullion Center, including great savings and fast, free shipping from Featured Sellers—and eBay Buyer Protection for your purchases.

Sincerely,

The eBay Bucks team
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:21 am

If you can still get them on items in the US/Canadian coins, I should be ok since that's where I buy most of my stuff anyway. I haven't bought anything out of the actual "bullion" category - it seemed like the prices were always higher there for some reason. Still, I was annoyed when I got the email.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:38 am

My big question is how eBay still exists as the primary auction house. They are getting worse all the time and I'm normally not one to complain about a corporation's practices.

Someone should come up with:

- The "BitCoin Auction System". Not using "Bitcoins", but one that is totally secure and distributed like "Bitcoins" and not controlled by a single (evil it seems) entity.

Now that I've thought about it, I will have a programmer research it today :) But it probably takes a LOT of work, and may be impossible due to the shipping/fraud/etc. issues.
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:11 am

Well... this just about eliminates my only remaining incentive for bidding on ebay. It was nice while it lasted. Let's see... next they will implement bidder fees to participate?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby natsb88 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:18 am

beauanderos wrote:Well... this just about eliminates my only remaining incentive for bidding on ebay. It was nice while it lasted. Let's see... next they will implement bidder fees to participate?

Don't give them any ideas :cry:
natsb88

Postby marblerye » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:21 am

I think the way they worded this is hilarious: "As always, eBay is committed to bringing you amazing deals on gold and silver. However, to do so, we can no longer offer eBay Bucks for purchases..."

So, in order to bring me amazing deals on gold and silver, you're going to take away any deals on gold and silver. Why can't they just be honest and explain how their poor executives need higher salaries and more stock options in order to survive these difficult economic times. Those greedy [fluffy kittens] don't even pay a dividend to their shareholders.
marblerye

Postby barrytrot » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:05 pm

marblerye wrote:I think the way they worded this is hilarious: "As always, eBay is committed to bringing you amazing deals on gold and silver. However, to do so, we can no longer offer eBay Bucks for purchases..."

So, in order to bring me amazing deals on gold and silver, you're going to take away any deals on gold and silver. Why can't they just be honest and explain how their poor executives need higher salaries and more stock options in order to survive these difficult economic times. Those greedy [fluffy kittens] don't even pay a dividend to their shareholders.

If I were an economics professor I would start a class called how to run a business into the ground and it would just be 100% eBay every day.

Of course, they keep making a profit, so maybe we are all wrong :)
barrytrot

Postby balz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Is it only on bullions or also on silver coins?

I mean: if I buy US coins will I still get the 2%?
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby mflugher » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Hopefully this means they are giving a break on prices to their bullion sellers and the sellers will be able to pass some of this along to us.

Ebay bucks is a gimmick anyway I'd rather have my seller save the 2% in fees and be able to pass that on to me in lower item prices.

BTW nowhere does it say you can't redeem ebay bucks on bullion purchases, just that you can't earn them buying bullion.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:26 pm

mflugher wrote:Hopefully this means they are giving a break on prices to their bullion sellers and the sellers will be able to pass some of this along to us.

Of course not.
barrytrot

Postby balz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Are junk silver coins considered bullions?
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:45 pm

balz wrote:Are junk silver coins considered bullions?

It's based on the CATEGORY they are in. In most cases sellers would put them there so in most cases "yes".
barrytrot

Postby balz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:49 pm

barrytrot wrote:
balz wrote:Are junk silver coins considered bullions?

It's based on the CATEGORY they are in. In most cases sellers would put them there so in most cases "yes".

Damn it... I hate Ebay! :evil:
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby SoFa » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:26 pm

So, for items listed in multiple categories and one of the categories is bullion, I'm assuming you don't get any bucks.

Getting 2% back on bullion was a good deal.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Ok, so Captain Ambiguous steps in here...I read the msg as "you can't earn Bucks on bullion purchases." I only skimmed it, but does it say anything about redeeming them for bullion purchases?
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals