Tracking Investrment with Spreadsheets

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Tracking Investrment with Spreadsheets

Postby morris14ccm » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:03 pm

Hope, I'm posting this in a good spot. I was wondering how you guys track your investment in silver? I've been trying to make a spreadsheet in excel, but I'm not very good with it. I can send it to anyone who is willing to give me advice on what to do with it. Also, if you have a template that you don't mind posting, that would be great too.
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Tracking Investrment with Spreadsheets

Postby fasteddy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:51 am

PM Idahocopper..he has a very nice spreadsheet and his beef jerky is great tasting also.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:05 pm

It's pretty elementary if you want to assign melt value to your metal and don't want to link to a value on the net. Put a $ in front of anything you don't want to change, for example the cell you want to use to enter spot value. For example +B6*$A$1 in cell C6 can be copy pasted to anywhere and will be one cell left of the new location times what's in A1. Experiment. You don't even need to buy paper for this.

Numesmatic or anything else with a premium is beyond me. Totally.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:36 pm

Someone else asked the same question in a thread about a month and a bit ago. I thought of it the other day and went and tracked this spreadsheet down. Pretty good for tracking your totals and it updates automatically to kitco's spot price. Coule be modified to track new lots as you aquire them. Hope this helps

http://goldsilverstocks.info/GOLDSILVERSPREADSHEET.html
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby morris14ccm » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:10 pm

rexmerdinus wrote:Someone else asked the same question in a thread about a month and a bit ago. I thought of it the other day and went and tracked this spreadsheet down. Pretty good for tracking your totals and it updates automatically to kitco's spot price. Coule be modified to track new lots as you aquire them. Hope this helps

http://goldsilverstocks.info/GOLDSILVERSPREADSHEET.html

Thanks, just what I was looking for.
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:39 am

Thanks for the link to the spreadsheet. I used it to create my own data connection to http://www.kitco.com/market in my current spreadsheet.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby saltydecks » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:18 am

I made my own in numbers, Macs version of Excel. I just have a total "invested" and a total "worth" and show it on a line graph.
saltydecks
Penny Sorter Member

Postby morris14ccm » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:27 am

I've been trying to set up a graph, but I don't know how to set up one that updates, not very good with excel.
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby saltydecks » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:30 am

I never was good with excel either. That's one reason I switched to Mac. The office software is a lot easier.
saltydecks
Penny Sorter Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:08 am

I took the one I posted and modified it, removing the Canadian dollars columns, and adding columns for date aquired, $ gain/loss, and % gain/loss. Thinking about trying to figure out how to put all the possible denominations into a drop-down menu that automatically fills the line, but that's a little above my skill level.
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:53 am

rexmerdinus wrote:I took the one I posted and modified it, removing the Canadian dollars columns, and adding columns for date aquired, $ gain/loss, and % gain/loss. Thinking about trying to figure out how to put all the possible denominations into a drop-down menu that automatically fills the line, but that's a little above my skill level.

In Excel, first create a small table, out of view, off to the side, or down under. Put your drop-down menu data in that table. Be sure to leave the first line of the table blank.

Select Data, Validation, and enter the table's location, etc.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby rexmerdinus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:18 pm

Cool, thanks. I'll try that later!
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby morris14ccm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:26 pm

I removed the Canadian columns, but didn't do anything else. I'm going to add to it what you have done and follow Idaho's advice.
Thanks to both of you.
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby morris14ccm » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Alright, so I have an excel spreadsheet that auto-updates, but I uploaded it to Google Docs and now it doesn't auto-update. Any advice on how to make it auto-update?
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:24 pm

Keep it off Google?
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:49 am

morris14ccm wrote:Alright, so I have an excel spreadsheet that auto-updates, but I uploaded it to Google Docs and now it doesn't auto-update. Any advice on how to make it auto-update?

Why in the heck would you publish your most private financial info on Google? YEAH SURE its "private". LOL!! I guarantee you that if served with a subpoena, Google will puke up your privacy to the feds in a single heartbeat.

Never forget ... everything that passes on the Internet as mail, or is posted anywhere is PUBLIC.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby morris14ccm » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:09 am

IdahoCopper wrote:
morris14ccm wrote:Alright, so I have an excel spreadsheet that auto-updates, but I uploaded it to Google Docs and now it doesn't auto-update. Any advice on how to make it auto-update?

Why in the heck would you publish your most private financial info on Google? YEAH SURE its "private". LOL!! I guarantee you that if served with a subpoena, Google will puke up your privacy to the feds in a single heartbeat.

Never forget ... everything that passes on the Internet as mail, or is posted anywhere is PUBLIC.

Never thought about that. I'll be taking it down.
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:41 am

IdahoCopper wrote:Never forget ... everything that passes on the Internet as mail, or is posted anywhere is PUBLIC.

Not true.

Just because the government can seize it doesn't make it public. You don't think they can seize stuff out of your house if they feel like it too? They can.

Encrypted information on the Internet is MORE SAFE than 99% of the things in your house.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby BamaJoe » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:50 am

Just as the wise words of "If you don't hold it, you don't own it" is true, here's another one almost as true.

"If you know how much you have, you don't have enough." Hell, I'm not sure how much I have and STILL don't have enough.

Yes, I realize this contributes nothing to this thread, but between my wife's score at her work and me sitting here at my job being half giddy on Lortab from having a molar pulled yesterday I'm just throwing things out there. :lol:
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:27 am

barrytrot wrote:Encrypted information on the Internet is MORE SAFE than 99% of the things in your house.

This is true. But if it's not in your computer, it's not availible when the power is off, or internet is down.

I keep hearing about how great "cloud computing" is. Sure. One of the programs I use at work is out of a server in another office on the other side of town. The link goes down regularly, and we get stuck twiddling our thumbs until the vagaries of the POTS drifts the connection back to where we can reach it. Wadda pain. :roll:
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:48 am

barrytrot wrote:
IdahoCopper wrote:Never forget ... everything that passes on the Internet as mail, or is posted anywhere is PUBLIC.

Not true.

Just because the government can seize it doesn't make it public. You don't think they can seize stuff out of your house if they feel like it too? They can.

Encrypted information on the Internet is MORE SAFE than 99% of the things in your house.

If you train yourself to believe "everything that passes on the Internet as mail, or is posted anywhere is PUBLIC.", you will be well served; even if it is not 100% true.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Some nerd can probably hack into my information with some effort. But for that same dork, and most others, the rate of success for them to gain access into my home is much lower. And the risks are MUCH higher.

barrytrot wrote:

Not true.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Mossy wrote:
barrytrot wrote:Encrypted information on the Internet is MORE SAFE than 99% of the things in your house.

This is true. But if it's not in your computer, it's not availible when the power is off, or internet is down.

I keep hearing about how great "cloud computing" is. Sure. One of the programs I use at work is out of a server in another office on the other side of town. The link goes down regularly, and we get stuck twiddling our thumbs until the vagaries of the POTS drifts the connection back to where we can reach it. Wadda pain. :roll:

Where do you live? :)

My Internet downtime has been zero for the past 5 months at least. (During when I'm online, which is OFTEN!)

The Internet is on where I am ALWAYS. And I have a wireless card if it's not anyway :)
barrytrot

Postby barrytrot » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:37 pm

NHsorter wrote:Some nerd can probably hack into my information with some effort. But for that same dork, and most others, the rate of success for them to gain access into my home is much lower. And the risks are MUCH higher.

Actually assuming you use safe passwords and different ones for each accounts there is zero shot at a hack that isn't "system wide". The time-to-hack a 128-bit key is still in the high multiple day range and no one has a grudge against you that bad :)

And, if someone does hack your online stuff there are several ways to remedy that.

However, if someone goes into your house and shoots you, there are very few remedies :)
barrytrot

Postby NHsorter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:44 pm

barrytrot wrote:
NHsorter wrote:Some nerd can probably hack into my information with some effort. But for that same dork, and most others, the rate of success for them to gain access into my home is much lower. And the risks are MUCH higher.

Actually assuming you use safe passwords and different ones for each accounts there is zero shot at a hack that isn't "system wide". The time-to-hack a 128-bit key is still in the high multiple day range and no one has a grudge against you that bad :)

And, if someone does hack your online stuff there are several ways to remedy that.

However, if someone goes into your house and shoots you, there are very few remedies :)

I hear what you are saying, but I must add that for someone to break into my house to shoot me, they would first have to get into my house without getting shot. And to that I say... Bring it on. Losing a gunfight in my own home is way at the bottom of the list of things that I am worried about. As things stand now, anyone with the brains or training to have the upper hand on me in that situation is also too smart to waste their time on my place.

EDIT to apologize - this has nothing to do with spreadsheets. And BTW, the spreadsheet above is nice, but does anyone have something available that is geared more toward US stuff as opposed to our hat?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals