2013 Metal Detecting Thread

Tracking Threads Only
By request, this area is only for coin sorting tracking threads. To reduce clutter only threads authorized by Realcent Admin are allowed here. Ask if you have an idea for a new tracking thread. Happy searching!

Re: 2013 Metal Detecting Thread

Postby Frank t » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:56 am

clad, clad, clad,some bullets, more clad, more bullets.
nice shield nick and bar token jonas
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:14 pm

I decided to hit an old corner lot I've been looking at for about a year. Well it was a HUGE bust. 3 pennies and a clad dime. This was close to an old school that closed back in the 1950's. Could not get any decent 12-anything readings except for the 4 coins. I did have some decent 10- and 11- VDI's but I was looking for 12's!!!!

So, I decided to hit the road and head to the fairgrounds for a bling and clad hunt. I hit areas that were used for dining. The area had picnic tables during the fair. Well the clad was there. I just ran the "Drunk-Man" grid pattern. :D

I did hit 2 rings. The 1st one rang a solid 12-18 in all directions. I thought it was another pull-tab. JUNK

The 2nd ring gave me a solid 12-32 in all directions. I saw it in the plug and was hoping it was white gold. But pretty sure it's junk again.

I dug or popped 95 coins for $8.15. I'm on a mission to crack the $1000 mark in my short career! I needed just $113.05 to make it this season. It's gonna be a cool milestone to hit.

So today I hit.....

24 quarters
16 dimes
00 nickels.....wow
55 pennies

Pictures coming......

TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Frank t » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:40 pm

im temping at penn state right now.i work at the paterno library. i was walking through one of the rooms and BOOM. some of the maps ive taken hours finding online exist there as hard copies. old atlases, county maps, a fluffin wealth of information. i had to stop and study. i found out near one of my sights was an old ironworks. where it stood are now houses but there are woods out back. i just had to go back and hunt the side of the hill facing the ironworks.
shotgun shells, brass casings, copper wire, a lead (round?) ball, aluminum scrap, one 1891 injun. back on em. :D
i need to take some pictures of these maps for my records. i will be spending my breaks in the maps room most of the time now im sure.
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Find a pretty grad-student to teach you some photo-skills! :thumbup:
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Here the results from my last 2 hunts. I ended up getting silver ring #5 and my 23rd wheatie. Yesterday I was at a softball/soccer complex. All clad and junk. Still digging lots of low tones. More pulltabs.

Today I went to a former high school that's an elementary school now. That produced the cool silver. But in the area where the ring was found, these non-magnetic thingies had me digging.

I hit a Presidential pin, and a "what's this?".

1-silver ring.
69 coins for $5.23.....helps to put the decimal point in there!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Frank t » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:23 pm

i am taken jonas, but fine i wont post since i cant post pics ;) :lol:
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Better shot of the ring.

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Hit another wheat and a silver roosie. Nice sized bullet, too.

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Broke $100 today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the total of my last 2 clad/bling hunts!

201 coins for $10.49. Got 1 kiddie junk ring. 4 wheats included.

Bottom picture is a cap from the hubcap of an early Marmon automobile that was built in Indiana from 1903 to the 1930's. Only 300+ working models are known to be left.

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Frank t » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:07 am

1900 ihp
"your ground is not tougher than me"- frank t digging plugs
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby smalltimeopn » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:59 pm

I did very little detecting in 2013. It turned out to be the exact opposite of what I wanted (other interests, obligations, life, etc). Well, I took off a half day from work on 12/31 and went to a local park that had been recently sodded before the now complete pee wee football season. There were several picnic tables and bleacher sections. What I found had not even started to sink beneath the grass yet. $1.04 in 2 hours. No bling. I did not get to finish the entire area so I will go back !
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:11 pm

smalltimeopn wrote:I did very little detecting in 2013. It turned out to be the exact opposite of what I wanted (other interests, obligations, life, etc). Well, I took off a half day from work on 12/31 and went to a local park that had been recently sodded before the now complete pee wee football season. There were several picnic tables and bleacher sections. What I found had not even started to sink beneath the grass yet. $1.04 in 2 hours. No bling. I did not get to finish the entire area so I will go back !

I love small bleachers. Anything I can lift and/or move by myself. Nothing wrong with those battery money hunts. We can't find silver and bling every time.

I still get laughed at. But I end up laughing back at them. I LOVE IT!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Previous

Return to Tracking Threads Only