2014 Metal Detecting Thread

Tracking Threads Only
By request, this area is only for coin sorting tracking threads. To reduce clutter only threads authorized by Realcent Admin are allowed here. Ask if you have an idea for a new tracking thread. Happy searching!

2014 Metal Detecting Thread

Postby Country » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:52 pm

Maintained for 2014 by: TheJonasCollegeFund. :wave:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: 2014 Metal Detecting Thread

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:57 pm

THANKS

Been a rough year so far.

Out only 3 times.

Pics coming......
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CU Baker » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:29 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:THANKS

Been a rough year so far.

Out only 3 times.

Pics coming......

Well the plumbers around here say we have up to twelve feet of frost. So maybe in June we will be able to dig in the ground :lol: :lol: . Only three times out. I think there is still three ft. of ice on the lakes. I feel so bad for you ;) . Hope everyone has a great year swinging the MD's.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:30 pm

So far my 3 first trips of the year were spent at 2 different sled hills. Mainly for 2 reasons. First, we had 80+ inches of snow this past winter. This produced a lot of sled hill action! And second, there are places still with snow on the ground. And then again, open spots are still frozen 2 to 6 inches. Very hard to dig.

Hunt #1 got me a silver ring.

Finally got out for first time this year. Still snow on the ground in places. Still frozen ground all around me. I did find some spots with frozen ground and other spots I could dig to China!

Anyway, my second target produced my first silver of the year!!!! Has a cool little shiny mother of pearl stone???? Or something else???

Even hit my first dollar coin already.

So I nailed a bunch of coin-spills. Coins were either on the surface or just mixed in with the grass.

I tried all the low tones looking for gold but no good.

I have only hunted 25% of this hill and the bottom. The bottom is like a small pond. So, I will have to return many times. We had over 80 inches of snow this winter so there was LOTS and LOTS of action at this park!

I WILL FIND GOLD HERE!

71 coins for $7.39

1 dollar coin.
17 quarters.
13 dimes.
11 nickels.
29 pennies.

:D

I love this color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunt #2 about a week later.

Well I finally got back to the sled hill in search of gold. The last bit of snow had melted away leaving me more recent drops I missed last time.

I ended up digging a bunch of stuff. No gold! I do have one piece to check out. Part of a watchband or heavy men's bracelet. Might be gold! Looks gold or golden copper!

OK, I nailed 85 coins for $6.48

Had fun even though a nice sleet was coming down when I started. Latex gloves and long pants(I always wear shorts) because it was chilly with a strong north wind.

Hunt #3 I hit my first cell phone of the year. Also, a rare old shotgun headstamp.

OK, the plan for a short hunt today was to hit the other popular sled hill. It's a much smaller sled hill. But it is on the opposite side of the city to the bigger better one that I recently hit twice. So it does get a lot of action, too.

I get there and as I am walking/swinging towards the bottom of the hill, I SEE IT!

I'VE BEEN POACHED!

I see fresh digs. I see plugs dug everywhere! At least this person filled his/her holes up. I had to decide to stay and hunt gold or hit the road. It's obvious he/she/they got almost all of recent drops. I wonder if I missed gold by not coming here sooner???

Oh well, I decided to stay and see if I could find anything. Lots of low tones and trash in this park. But it also has given up some bling jewelry in the past.

I did hit another shotgun headstamp for my buddy TurtleFoot on another forum, my first headstamp for 2014. I thought is was a common headstamp only to find out that it's kinda rare. You can't even finds pictures of this one online. You can find the boxes that they came in, though!

And I hit my first cell phone of 2014. Samsung phone.. I bet it's shot from the snow. It's now sitting in a sealed bag with some rice drying off.

One piece of junk bling. Butterfly earring.

19 coins for $1.94 (as you can see only 3 recent drops/spill 1-quarter, a dime, and a penny!)

Here you go.........

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby silver » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:05 pm

The stone in the ring appears to be an opal to my eyes.
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:42 pm

silver wrote:The stone in the ring appears to be an opal to my eyes.
ED

Yep.....my thinking too after seeing the pics better.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:10 pm

Got permission for a 1840's farm. Someone has hunted here before. I did find my oldest silver dime. 1912 Barber! Hit 3 wheats and 2 copper memorials. AND JUNK!

The dime was in the hole with a bent iron nail. No wonder the other hunters didn't find it. My detector can see multiple targets at the same time!

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby plus1hdcp » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:51 pm

TJCF, what kind of detector are you using? I've been looking at an AT-Pro but would take any and all advice.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:14 pm

plus1hdcp wrote:TJCF, what kind of detector are you using? I've been looking at an AT-Pro but would take any and all advice.

I ran the ATPRO for a year and a half. Still have it for fresh water. I use the CTX 3030 now.

The ATPRO is easy to learn and is great for the price. Waterproof to 10 feet.

If you decide to buy, I have contacts to beat any price. I got a deal on mine.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Silversnacher » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:30 pm

My AT PRO misses me :( I haven't taken her out at all in 2014
I accept paypal or check/concealed cash when selling
Silversnacher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:46 am

Silversnacher wrote:My AT PRO misses me :( I haven't taken her out at all in 2014

Get that thing going and post some pics!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:37 pm

I hit the old farm again and found some................JUNK!!!!

I hit a couple of other places and a little park.

Not much to brag about.

That's a quarter inside a HUGE copper ring???????
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby knibloe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:27 am

silver wrote:The stone in the ring appears to be an opal to my eyes.
ED

Opal was my thought as well.

I haven't gotten out yet. However, I did finally buy new batteries. Now that I am set to go, I have not had any spare time.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:30 am

Quote: The dime was in the hole with a bent iron nail. No wonder the other hunters didn't find it. My detector can see multiple targets at the same time!

I found a 1873 seated liberty dime in my back yard. It took me a while to recover it. I had a hole about a foot in diameter and had to clear out about 20 nails first. Kept getting a good signal, so I kept learching.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:06 am

knibloe wrote:Quote: The dime was in the hole with a bent iron nail. No wonder the other hunters didn't find it. My detector can see multiple targets at the same time!

I found a 1873 seated liberty dime in my back yard. It took me a while to recover it. I had a hole about a foot in diameter and had to clear out about 20 nails first. Kept getting a good signal, so I kept learching.

Let's see a pic of that dime!!!! :thumbup:
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby knibloe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:33 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:
knibloe wrote:Quote: The dime was in the hole with a bent iron nail. No wonder the other hunters didn't find it. My detector can see multiple targets at the same time!

Let's see a pic of that dime!!!! :thumbup:

I will dig it out and post a pic. Not much to look at, but way cool to find.

With your prompting, I got out today. I found a brass bell in the back yard. I will post a pic of that as well.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:52 pm

I struck-out with door knocking so I hit two local parks for some pull tab/gold exercise. I got pull tabs, even an old one, bit no gold.

I was digging anything repeatable.

Look at this huge broken metal bar. I work in a steel mill and this thing is OLD. I think it's zinc. I work running a Galvanizing sheet production line...we use 2000 lbs bars/pigs/sows(our names).

Looks like TOHO on top and I see the .999 with a "Z" above it. I tried to google images of old zinc bars and came up empty.

This thing is HEAVY. I thought lead at first. We used small lead bars back when I started 20 years ago....some still laying around at work.

In my first pic...lower left is 3 "hot-rocks"! All gave me great repeatable tone. But I checked with a magnet...slight resistance is about it. One day I just might find me a meteorite!!! ($$$$$$$)

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby knibloe » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:36 am

Gonna try this from my smart phone. This is mostly stuff I have found in my own back yard.

Ok it did not work, how do I shrink a photo size so I can attach it?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:03 pm

knibloe wrote:Gonna try this from my smart phone. This is mostly stuff I have found in my own back yard.

Ok it did not work, how do I shrink a photo size so I can attach it?

I use photobucket. Most times I don't have to re-size the pics but sometimes I do.

I guess upload the pics from your phone to your computer....re-size them there.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby plus1hdcp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:11 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:
plus1hdcp wrote:TJCF, what kind of detector are you using? I've been looking at an AT-Pro but would take any and all advice.

I ran the ATPRO for a year and a half. Still have it for fresh water. I use the CTX 3030 now.

The ATPRO is easy to learn and is great for the price. Waterproof to 10 feet.

If you decide to buy, I have contacts to beat any price. I got a deal on mine.

I will definitely let you know when I put aside some play money to get one. The CTX looks like a Cadillac!
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Frank t » Sat May 03, 2014 1:02 am

i got a bust half cent (1809- 183 [I dont remember]7?) early this year. it has no date and you have to know what your looking for to know what your looking at! But, my oldest coin to date. the bust is large it is not a coronet style coin. i really want her big, silver, older sister now.

Frank
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby CU Baker » Sun May 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Ok, I can't stand it anymore. Forty five degrees out, no wind. Both detectors are in the car,scoop and wet suite. Water temp is thirty three and I am going in. Anything that was anything could shirvel up too nothing, oh well its the price you pay to get in the lake. Ice has been off the lake for 9 days.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon May 05, 2014 4:37 pm

CU Baker wrote:Ok, I can't stand it anymore. Forty five degrees out, no wind. Both detectors are in the car,scoop and wet suite. Water temp is thirty three and I am going in. Anything that was anything could shirvel up too nothing, oh well its the price you pay to get in the lake. Ice has been off the lake for 9 days.

Wish I had a wetsuit!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby hobo finds » Thu May 08, 2014 6:02 pm

hobo finds

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun May 18, 2014 9:59 am

I haven't got out much because the rain, work, a little injury, and just plain life getting in the way.

But my most recent outing was a "free" hunt sponsored by Minelab, the maker of the detector I use most of the time. And it was 15 minutes from my house.

I had fun. They raffled off thousands of dollars in free detectors. 2 of them list at $2,400 each!

I found 13 coins in two hunts. 4 of the coins were in plastic holders with an extra ticket for drawings after the events. So I had 5 chances to win SOMETHING.

I didn't find the lucky ticket. The little guy picking out the tickets didn't like me I guess.

They gave away 2 CTX3030's, an etrac, a Safari, and a couple other units.

13 coins. 8 silver....2 roosies, 2 mercs, a Washington, and 3 war nickels.

The 5 other coins were 2 indian head cents, a buffalo nickel, a clad Indiana(go figure) quarter, and a zinc penny.

TheJonasCollegeFund

Next

Return to Tracking Threads Only