2014 Metal Detecting Thread

Tracking Threads Only
By request, this area is only for coin sorting tracking threads. To reduce clutter only threads authorized by Realcent Admin are allowed here. Ask if you have an idea for a new tracking thread. Happy searching!

Re: 2014 Metal Detecting Thread

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue May 20, 2014 7:21 pm

My co-worker was on vacation and said I could come detect his yard anytime. I ran over to this very small house that used to be a mom+pop corner store in the 40's to the early 70's. Also some old curbstrips were on his property.

Well, either someone has hit this yard before or the silver has sank below my CTX's range. I still wonder if I have a bad coil.

Anyway I hit 51 coins for $2.44 which included 2 wheats, one from the yard and one from the curbstrip.

I hit a modern kiddie ring and an old ring that started to fall apart in my hand. Cool looking old ring.

But the best find was an old store token that so far in my research I can't find a match or even the business.

I left as many targets, or more, than I dug. The heat actually got to me today. With all this cooler weather this year, I must not be ready for the summer heat/humidity.

Enjoy the pictures!

Look at all of this stuff. It was either in the hole with a coin or gave a good repeating VDI.

Here's the two rings.....one and a half rings!

My two wheats....1939+1944.

I was crossing my fingers each time I dug a nail.....each nail had a penny or two in the hole

This odd "lighter" was found last week. I needed a picture.

And the store token....almost forgot it was in my pocket.

TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Wed May 21, 2014 11:41 am

These people should be able to help with the token info.... http://ikotams.tokencatalog.com/links.html
hobo finds

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed May 21, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks for the links. 2 are new to me but still no match!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon May 26, 2014 11:44 am

First of all I would like to thank the guys that replied to my PM asking about settings on the CTX. For some reason I am not getting the depth that I need.

So, after a few minor adjustments I went back to the old farm I have permission to hunt on. The last time there I found a clad nickel and a zinc penny. My first time there I scored a barber dime and a couple wheats.

So I just knew more HAD to there.

And I was right.

First target got me a sweet 1939D merc. Also iron in the hole! I ended up hitting 5 more wheats and a war nickel that I swore would be a piece of can slaw!

I did a doggie tag from 1955. I thought it was a large copper when I saw it in the hole!

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri May 30, 2014 4:52 pm

Got out this morning for some more experimenting with the CTX. I also needed some exercise. So, I DUG and DUG and DUG!

Lots of targets and some were very deep but not old. I did manage a 1935 wheat! I learned a few things this morning.

I hit 88 coins for $6.01.

Enjoy the pics of my other finds. Either they were in the hole with a coin or they gave off a decent repeatable signal.

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:03 pm

I went out for some exercise. I decided to dig and dig and dig. But before you ask, most of the "junk" has come from the 1860's farm. I've been digging just about everything there. No coins lately there.

So back to today. Went back to a small park that produces tons of pennies. I have someone who comes in here and cherrypicks all of the dimes and quarters.

While digging a small spill of 7 zinc and copper pennies....I nail a COOL silver ring.

As you can see, I am digging those low tones and pull tabs for my son's school!!!

55 pennies
6 dimes
3 nickels
3 quarters
2 fake bling ear rings
1----SILVER RING

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:41 am

I ran over for a quick hunt at the middle school near my house. It used to be the high school years ago. They are doing some landscaping and tore up a good 50' x 50' area with a bulldozer and backhoe. One little area had a small 2 to 3 foot hill. It's all level now. I needed to hit it before they finish and plant grass.

Well today paid off. I hit my first gold ring with the CTX. A small vintage type 10K "TRUGLO" ladies ring. I also hit 4 more rings which really got me going! I thought I had another good one but it ended up being a "Lia Sophia" honker. The "Peace" ring and the one with a HUGE green stone are junk rings from Hong Kong. The other is a cheap-o, too.!

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:09 am

Got permission to hunt a property that dates back to the late 1800's. But I find out that the property has been upgraded 4 different times from 4 different owners. I guess a fire at one point, too.

I also helped try to locate property markers. I did find one with keen sense of sight!

I hit 2 coins. A modern nickel and a Standing Liberty Quarter.

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:09 pm

I ran over to the local historic park. Dates back to the early 1900's. I've yet to find silver here but one of my hunting buddies has hit some silver here. I decided to try my best listening for high and deep tones. Well, this park is horrible with pull tabs. Every swing you will hit MANY of them. It was hard to get any other type of signal. You had to go really slow.

I was able to nail 5 wheats. 2 inches down to 8 inches. The best one was a 1919S. Next was a 1920. The other 3 were from the 40's.

I did dig a deep low tone that sounded different. 12/29 on the VDI. Down about 7 inches was this "lion's head" pin/broach. I saw gold in the hole. But it's not!:mad: It sure is heavy for it's size. I can't see someone wearing it.

The bright spot at this park is that it has the softest ground to dig I have ever seen!

Also found a neat looking but fake ear ring.

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby smalltimeopn » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:01 pm

First detecting I've done this year at one of the local parks:

6/29: 86 cents in about 2 hours.
7/5: 25 cents in about 1.5 hours.

No bling.
Attachments
IMGP83093.jpg
IMGP83093.jpg (242.49 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:29 pm

Keep posting those pics!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:54 pm

Been a long summer of not detecting. It seems I had a defective coil on my CTX. I ended up waiting a month for my new warranty coil to show up.

Anyway, I got out with a buddy to take on an old park. Heavily hunted-out(almost) and full of 1000's of pull tabs, the old ring-pull style. This would be my 5th or 6th try here. In the past I have scored wheats and junk jewelry and clad. The only silver was 1/4 of a sterling ring cut up by the mowing crew.

Well I hit 3 wheats with the oldest at 1944. I did hit a worn 1920 mercury dime at 8 inches, under a root!

I found an old spoon and part of an old cuff link. Throw in a Chucky Cheese token and a cheap "Harley Davidson" 10 year dealership pin.

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby AdamsSamoa » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:48 pm

wow... alll i can say is "WOW"... the wife and I have not gone out lookin for a while...but we never find anything worth a damn...
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:07 pm

AdamsSamoa wrote:wow... alll i can say is "WOW"... the wife and I have not gone out lookin for a while...but we never find anything worth a damn...

Are you using the right machine?
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:43 am

Started this morning at a sidewalk tear-out in my hometown. Those dang construction workers kept getting in my way! Anyway it started with a bang, wheat in my first hole! And, I found an old milk bottle. Looks like it says 1949 on the bottle.

Bowman Milk out of Chicago...looky here...

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/2575.html

The bottle looks cool to me. It also has a bubble on one of the bottom corners.

The old park and old curbstrip was a waste of time. The old ball field came through with some quarters!

Got two headstamps

Also found 2 keys. One is really corroded the other IS SILVER!

Also I hit a "what's it" at the tear-out. Almost looks like part of a set of false teeth!

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Been a slow year for having fun...got out in a little snow. Some cool finds from an old farm.

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks Santa!!!!!

Santa gave me weather to hunt in! Just finished 12 hours at work. I spent more time watching the clock than anything else. All week the forecast went from a "dusting" of snow to 8 to 10 inches of wet snow to heavy rain.

Well I got NONE of that. 35 degrees and I am GONE!

Merry Christmas to all of my fellow land or sea pirates!!!!

Updates when my batteries die or I get sleepy!!!!

OK...group shot. Bottom stuff is from the soccer fields.

5 quarters/5 nickels/6 dimes/15 pennies

A key for the pile and some low-tone junk.

The top stuff.....

1901 indian head cent
1934 Merc
1934 and 1920 wheats.

A small 22-like cartridge.
A small nail-head(maybe) at 8 inches...wow!
A copper rivet or something...need to clean...from the cornfield.
Also I dug a small metal wheel that fell apart in my bag...Cleveland Marble and something...I'll edit here in a sec.

The 4 coins from the old farm....4 coins I missed last time!!!

Here's the front of that metal wheel that feel apart...cool!!!

Here's a link about the chair company.

http://www.bedfordohiohistory.org/build/shattuck.php

TheJonasCollegeFund

Previous

Return to Tracking Threads Only