*Official August 2018 Half Dollars and Other Coins

Tracking Threads Only
By request, this area is only for coin sorting tracking threads. To reduce clutter only threads authorized by Realcent Admin are allowed here. Ask if you have an idea for a new tracking thread. Happy searching!

*Official August 2018 Half Dollars and Other Coins

Postby Country » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:20 am

xxx
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: *Official August 2018 Half Dollars and Other Coins

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:45 am

I'm gonna get the ball started and I'm doing something different. I've got about $200-250 face in U.S. nickels that I found in remote storage. I should have gone through these years ago- I got them in late 2011. The reason I am quite certain of that is that the latest date in any of the rolls was 2011 and almost all of the 2011's were B.U.

The results for the first $100 face...

2 war nickels (1942-S, 1945-P)
26 Pre-1960 nickels in addition to the 2 wars (no good dates)
5 2009's

2 Mexico 1 pesos (those coins are almost exactly the size of our nickels and have an outer ring that looks similar in color (not quite identical, but close enough to fool people even when the look through clear plastic wrappers)

I'll report the rest when I get a chance to go through them.
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Saabman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Wednesday's box halves .....skunk......
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Friday's box of halves yielded....... 2 x 64 :-D and 1 x 67!!

Saturday's box of halves......... Skunkage......
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:06 am

Thursday's box halves yielded....... 3 x 67, 5 x 68, and 2 x 69!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:35 pm

Ten in a box. Wow! I’m gonna have to go to my local bank and demand that they do better in the future! :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Saabman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:12 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Ten in a box. Wow! I’m gonna have to go to my local bank and demand that they do better in the future! :)

Let me know how that works out........I might try it too!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:14 am

Friday's box of halves yielded.......5 x 67 and 3x 68!!

Saturday's box of halves yielded........ 2 x 66, 2 x 67, and 3 x 68!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 am

Wednesday's box of halves yielded......2 x 66 and 1 x67!!
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:17 pm

I'd love to be able to consistently go through as many halves as saabman, but I need to settle for less- for now at least. Today I got...

$160.00 in halves (skunko)

$1.50 in halves (ALL THREE WERE SILVER!)- INTERESTING STORY. I'm going into a local bank and get there right at closing time (6pm on Friday). A lady is locking the door as I ask if I can go in, and she says that is fine. I ask for halves and the teller says "No I don't have any." The lady who was locking the door shouts "Wait a minute. I have some." She had three. One was a 1964 and the other two were 40%ers. I'll take it!

Recyclersteve

Postby Saabman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:38 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I'd love to be able to consistently go through as many halves as saabman, but I need to settle for less- for now at least. Today I got...

$160.00 in halves (skunko)

$1.50 in halves (ALL THREE WERE SILVER!)- INTERESTING STORY. I'm going into a local bank and get there right at closing time (6pm on Friday). A lady is locking the door as I ask if I can go in, and she says that is fine. I ask for halves and the teller says "No I don't have any." The lady who was locking the door shouts "Wait a minute. I have some." She had three. One was a 1964 and the other two were 40%ers. I'll take it!

WTG!!!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:46 pm

$10 BWR halves and $11.50 loose halves
- skunk
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Saabman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:48 am

Saturday's box of halves yielded.....2 x 61 :-D , 1 x 63 :-D , 2 x 64 :-D , 2 x 67, 1 x 68, 1 x 69!!!!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:30 am

Sweet!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Saabman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:51 am

Tuesday's box of halves yielded...... 2 x 64 :-D , 1 x 66, 2 x 67, 3 x 68, and 1 x 69!!!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:21 pm

Went to four banks today. Could only get a total of $3.50 in halves- no silver.

Recyclersteve

Postby Saabman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:50 am

Thursday's box of halves........skunk

Saturday's box of halves.......skunkage......
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:04 pm

Since I was only able to get $3.50 in halves on Friday, I decided to try and get some more on Saturday. Was only able to get $38.50 face in halves from a total of four banks. Did get one 40% silver half.

I have to admit that I was disappointed in finding that a few of the banks that used to have Saturday hours are no longer open on Saturday.

Also, at one bank they had over $400 in halves, but the teller told me he's a collector and goes through all of them himself. He even looks for war nickels. Also, he showed me a Morgan dollar that he got from the bank- he said he got about 40 silver dollars in total (all or almost all from the same haul). So I'm not going to look through his already gone through stuff- he seems like he knows what he's doing.

Recyclersteve

Postby Saabman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:33 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Since I was only able to get $3.50 in halves on Friday, I decided to try and get some more on Saturday. Was only able to get $38.50 face in halves from a total of four banks. Did get one 40% silver half.

I have to admit that I was disappointed in finding that a few of the banks that used to have Saturday hours are no longer open on Saturday.

Also, at one bank they had over $400 in halves, but the teller told me he's a collector and goes through all of them himself. He even looks for war nickels. Also, he showed me a Morgan dollar that he got from the bank- he said he got about 40 silver dollars in total (all or almost all from the same haul). So I'm not going to look through his already gone through stuff- he seems like he knows what he's doing.

Dang sniper.....
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:33 pm

Saabman wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:Since I was only able to get $3.50 in halves on Friday, I decided to try and get some more on Saturday. Was only able to get $38.50 face in halves from a total of four banks. Did get one 40% silver half.

Dang sniper.....

Yeah, you're right. Tellers who are collectors should wear special bright yellow name badges that have their name and also say "I am a coin collector or silver hoarder and go through all the rolls I can. Don't waste your time in this branch!"

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:39 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I'm gonna get the ball started and I'm doing something different. I've got about $200-250 face in U.S. nickels that I found in remote storage. I should have gone through these years ago- I got them in late 2011. The reason I am quite certain of that is that the latest date in any of the rolls was 2011 and almost all of the 2011's were B.U.

The results for the first $100 face...

2 war nickels (1942-S, 1945-P)
26 Pre-1960 nickels in addition to the 2 wars (no good dates)
5 2009's

2 Mexico 1 pesos (those coins are almost exactly the size of our nickels and have an outer ring that looks similar in color (not quite identical, but close enough to fool people even when the look through clear plastic wrappers)

I'll report the rest when I get a chance to go through them.

Finally got a chance to go through the rest. Most had already been gone through and just needed to be taken to the bank. However, there were $32 in nickels (from around 2011) that I never went through. Here are the results:

5 Pre 1960
1 War nickel (1943-P)
1 Canadian nickel (1999)
2 from 2009

Recyclersteve

Postby Saabman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:04 pm

Tuesday's box of halves.......skunkage.....
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:42 am

Wednesday's box of halves yielded....... 1 x 65, 2 x 67, 2 x 68, and 1 x 69!!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:15 pm

2.00 teller halves a 1967
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:21 am

Got $250 in halves today ($200 from one bank and the other $50 from four others). The results: No silver.

HOWEVER, it wasn't a total loss. I did find a 1964-D silver dime in a Coinstar machine at a grocery store.

Recyclersteve

Next

Return to Tracking Threads Only