Make sure your load Don't show off.

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Re: Make sure your load Don't show off.

Postby Thogey » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Wasn't the permit issue for the gun? (we have no such requirement in AZ,gun or scrap)
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Under the new law, which becomes effective August 17, 2011, any person wishing to transport and sell any non-ferrous metal including copper and catalytic converters to a scrap metal dealer must first obtain a permit to transport and sell the metal from the county sheriff in the county where the seller resides. This permit to transport and sell is free to the public.

There are two types of permits available to the public. The first one is a one-year permit for those persons who intend to transport and sell non-ferrous metals, including copper, over a period of one year. To obtain this one-year permit, a person must go to the sheriff’s office in the county where they reside and complete the application provided by the sheriff. The sheriff, upon approval of the application, will issue the applicant a permit which will allow the applicant to transport and sell non-ferrous metals including copper to a recycler.

The second permit is a 48 hour permit that may be obtained by calling the sheriff in the county where they reside. The person making the call will be given a permit number good for transporting and sale of non ferrous metals including copper and catalytic converters for 48 hours. This permit is for those persons who intend to transport and sell these materials no more than twice a year. This permit is free to the public.

You can obtain a short-term permit in Charleston County by calling 843-554-2463 or 843-554-2446. Similar calls can be made in all counties for the 48-hour permits. You must apply for annual permits at the Sheriff's Office.

Non residents of the State of South Carolina may obtain either permit from the sheriff of the county where the scrap metal dealer is located.

Additionally, any person or business intending to purchase copper or catalytic converters must obtain a permit to purchase from the sheriff’s office where they do business. There is a $200 fee for the “permit to the purchase” and is renewable every 2 years. Further, any person or business seeking the permit must be doing business from a fixed location. A recycler may not purchase copper or catalytic converters from a person unless the person presents their permit "to transport and sell” or permit number if it is a 48 hour permit.

As well, the new law provides that it is unlawful to transport in a vehicle or have in a person’s possession in a vehicle on the highways of the State non-ferrous metals of an aggregate weight of more than 10 pounds. This restriction does not apply if (1) the vehicle is a vehicle used in the ordinary course of business for the purpose of transporting non-ferrous metals; (2) the person can present a valid permit to transport and sell non ferrous metals; or (3) the person can present a valid bill of sale for the nonferrous metals. If a law enforcement officer determines that one or more of the exceptions applies, or the law enforcement officer determines that the non ferrous metals are not stolen goods and are in the rightful possession of the person, the law enforcement officer shall not issue a citation for a violation.

A person who violates this provision: (1) for a 1st offense, is guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than $200 or imprisoned not more than 30 days; (2) for a 2nd offense is guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned not more than three years, or both. For an offense to be considered a 3rd or subsequent offense, only those offenses that occurred within a period of 10 years, including and immediately preceding the date of the last offense, constitute a prior offense. If a person transports non-ferrous metals that the person knows are stolen in a vehicle or has in the person’s possession in a vehicle on the highways of this state non ferrous metals that the person knows are stolen, is operating a vehicle used in the ordinary course of business to transport non ferrous metals that the person knows to be stolen, the person is guilty of a felony, and, upon conviction, must be fined in the discretion of the court or imprisoned not more than 10 years or both. The only identification acceptable is a: (1) valid South Carolina driver’s license issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles; (3) valid driver’s license from another state that contains the licensee’s picture on the face of the license; or (4) valid military identification card.

Additionally, the law provides that this section does not apply to the purchase or sale of aluminum cans.

This new law does not apply to a holder of a retail business license, an authorized wholesaler, contractor licensed pursuant to law or a gas, electric, communications, water, plumbing, electrical or climate conditioning service provider.

It is suggested that individuals wishing to sell copper obtain their permit to transport and sell copper prior to the August 17 effective date of the law.

Source: http://www2.counton2.com/news/2011/jul/ ... r-2201250/
Copper Catcher

Postby Hades12 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Thogey wrote:Wasn't the permit issue for the gun? (we have no such requirement in AZ,gun or scrap)

No permit required for the gun, Open carry is legal in NC. a Permit is required to conceal it. She should not have reacted the way she did, and that was the first time I had ever had a cop act that way. I have even compared guns with officers at my Radio shop.

Mercuryman wrote:Absolutely disgusting, i live in NC myself. There is no such state law that i am aware of where you need a permit to haul scrap copper. Your guilty until proven innocent, glad it all worked out.

There is a law, spoke to the sheriff office in my county today. The "permit" is $5 per and they said to get it you bring the load by for them to see it. Kind of required when you have over 25 pounds. But a bill of sale with tax ID from where you got the scrap negates needing the permit. Being a Scrap Business also takes its place. Will look for the full law later.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mercuryman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:45 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:Under the new law, which becomes effective August 17, 2011, any person wishing to transport and sell any non-ferrous metal including copper and catalytic converters to a scrap metal dealer must first obtain a permit to transport and sell the metal from the county sheriff in the county where the seller resides. This permit to transport and sell is free to the public.

There are two types of permits available to the public. The first one is a one-year permit for those persons who intend to transport and sell non-ferrous metals, including copper, over a period of one year. To obtain this one-year permit, a person must go to the sheriff’s office in the county where they reside and complete the application provided by the sheriff. The sheriff, upon approval of the application, will issue the applicant a permit which will allow the applicant to transport and sell non-ferrous metals including copper to a recycler.

The second permit is a 48 hour permit that may be obtained by calling the sheriff in the county where they reside. The person making the call will be given a permit number good for transporting and sale of non ferrous metals including copper and catalytic converters for 48 hours. This permit is for those persons who intend to transport and sell these materials no more than twice a year. This permit is free to the public.

You can obtain a short-term permit in Charleston County by calling 843-554-2463 or 843-554-2446. Similar calls can be made in all counties for the 48-hour permits. You must apply for annual permits at the Sheriff's Office.

Non residents of the State of South Carolina may obtain either permit from the sheriff of the county where the scrap metal dealer is located.

Additionally, any person or business intending to purchase copper or catalytic converters must obtain a permit to purchase from the sheriff’s office where they do business. There is a $200 fee for the “permit to the purchase” and is renewable every 2 years. Further, any person or business seeking the permit must be doing business from a fixed location. A recycler may not purchase copper or catalytic converters from a person unless the person presents their permit "to transport and sell” or permit number if it is a 48 hour permit.

As well, the new law provides that it is unlawful to transport in a vehicle or have in a person’s possession in a vehicle on the highways of the State non-ferrous metals of an aggregate weight of more than 10 pounds. This restriction does not apply if (1) the vehicle is a vehicle used in the ordinary course of business for the purpose of transporting non-ferrous metals; (2) the person can present a valid permit to transport and sell non ferrous metals; or (3) the person can present a valid bill of sale for the nonferrous metals. If a law enforcement officer determines that one or more of the exceptions applies, or the law enforcement officer determines that the non ferrous metals are not stolen goods and are in the rightful possession of the person, the law enforcement officer shall not issue a citation for a violation.

A person who violates this provision: (1) for a 1st offense, is guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than $200 or imprisoned not more than 30 days; (2) for a 2nd offense is guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned not more than three years, or both. For an offense to be considered a 3rd or subsequent offense, only those offenses that occurred within a period of 10 years, including and immediately preceding the date of the last offense, constitute a prior offense. If a person transports non-ferrous metals that the person knows are stolen in a vehicle or has in the person’s possession in a vehicle on the highways of this state non ferrous metals that the person knows are stolen, is operating a vehicle used in the ordinary course of business to transport non ferrous metals that the person knows to be stolen, the person is guilty of a felony, and, upon conviction, must be fined in the discretion of the court or imprisoned not more than 10 years or both. The only identification acceptable is a: (1) valid South Carolina driver’s license issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles; (3) valid driver’s license from another state that contains the licensee’s picture on the face of the license; or (4) valid military identification card.

Additionally, the law provides that this section does not apply to the purchase or sale of aluminum cans.

This new law does not apply to a holder of a retail business license, an authorized wholesaler, contractor licensed pursuant to law or a gas, electric, communications, water, plumbing, electrical or climate conditioning service provider.

It is suggested that individuals wishing to sell copper obtain their permit to transport and sell copper prior to the August 17 effective date of the law.

This is South Carolina only though right?
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hades12 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:Under the new law, which becomes effective August 17, 2011, any person

That is for SC and I had that permit. Have to go get my year long one for the next load.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:01 pm

This website might help:

North Carolina Scrap Metal Laws
http://www.scribd.com/doc/71454381/New- ... Metal-Laws
Copper Catcher

Postby Hades12 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:43 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:This website might help:

North Carolina Scrap Metal Laws
http://www.scribd.com/doc/71454381/New- ... Metal-Laws

Really odd. Says checks for cars and any transaction over $100. I have never seen either of my local yards give a check for anything.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hades12 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage