Cast Iron Help!

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Cast Iron Help!

Postby OtusLotus » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:02 pm

I remember reading somewhere about members finding and buying cast iron cookware.

Great! I went this weekend, and bought some....

Now what do I do with it?
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Cast Iron Help!

Postby rsk1963 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:07 pm

rusty? Not?

Cast iron will rust if it isn’t dried immediately after washing. Clean off that rust then:

Start by towel drying you cookware. Then, place it on the stove over low heat for a minute or two to pull out any remaining moisture. If desired, lightly coat the inside of the pan with oil, and heat for a minute or two longer. This will help to restore any seasoning that might have been lost during washing.

If you need to reseason roughly use these instructions

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/doityourself/ht/Season_CastIron.htm
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby OtusLotus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:11 pm

one piece was a little rusty.. my girlfried grabbed it and said that she was going to make poached eggs with it.. lol

The other piece was painted blue, and apparently used for a flowering pot.

I guess my original intention for buying these cast iron pieces was to scrap them. Is there money to be made from scrapping them?

Or should I just look at it as cookware?
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:14 pm

Don't scrap cast iron cookware until you try to sell it first. You should have no problem getting $10-$25 for a 10-12 inch frying pan. Dutch oven and pot can get more.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:50 am

Look for Griswold pieces. I've got one of their 10" skillets that someone will have to pry out of my cold, dead fingers.

The best thing about that pan is that every time I leave it out on the stove, the wife sees it and decides to make grilled cheese or quesadillas.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage