Newcomer

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Newcomer

Postby Coppergames » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:12 pm

Hiya Forum- I'm pretty new to this. I live in Idaho and theres many scrap yards and other places to find scrap metals. I'm just wondering exactly just what to be looking for. Any tips or anything I should know?

Thanks,
Coppergames
Got lots of stuff on sale, Stranga!
Coppergames

Re: Newcomer

Postby justoneguy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:14 pm

If it's metal, and it's heavy, scrap :mrgreen: it
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:21 pm

You need to separate stuff to get the best $. For example,electric motors pay several times what iron does,so you shouldnt scrap motor for iron.Theres 3 grades of copper wire,and different prices for dirty or clean brass and aluminum.Go to a yard with some cans and watch what people are bringing in.Youll get the idea.
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rambo_k9 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 pm

Get yourself a magnet ASAP. Do your research, Google is your friend and the folks here are great. Copper, aluminum, brass are your friends. Steel is heavy...lol. I scrap for two reasons, 1) the money 2) the green factor. I tear everything down and keep as much out of landfills as possible. Take a little extra time and make it work for you. Metal = money :!: no matter what kind it is. All the best with it and make sure you ask if you have questions.
rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage