Best place to obtain lead to melt?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Best place to obtain lead to melt?

Postby CopperForLife » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:55 pm

I've been thinking about going around looking for some free/cheap lead to melt into my own ingots (just for fun). Where would be some good places to obtain it?

Thanks!

-Jason
CopperForLife

Re: Best place to obtain lead to melt?

Postby woodyh » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:43 pm

at intersections sometimes you will find wheel weights
life is like a box of pennys , you never know what your gonna get
woodyh
Penny Collector Member

Postby jasonI » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Also in parking lots. Tire shops have piles of old wheel weights. You might try to go to an independently owned shop and make a deal with the owner. Scrap yards will usually sell you metal for a little more than they pay for it, or sometimes a lot more but still cheaper than buying it new.
"The right to be let alone is indeed the beginning of all freedom." – Justice William O. Douglas
jasonI
Penny Sorter Member

Postby tn-dave » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:11 pm

jasonI wrote:Also in parking lots. Tire shops have piles of old wheel weights. You might try to go to an independently owned shop and make a deal with the owner. Scrap yards will usually sell you metal for a little more than they pay for it, or sometimes a lot more but still cheaper than buying it new.

I agree that wheel weights are going to be your best bet. Check on-line for info about melting/pouring jig heads for fishing lures for ideas on. the rest of the gear you will need. Update us here on how it goes..
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby jasonI » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Oh, and another thing. I know if you are looking into melting lead you have already seen the precautionary statements, but safety first you know. Lead and the other heavy metals set into your bones and they are there for life. If you can smell it you are ingesting it, so well ventilated and all that jazz. The Romans used lead piping and even seasoned food with lead, and according to some accounts this may have lead ;) to their downfall. Don't be a Roman.
"The right to be let alone is indeed the beginning of all freedom." – Justice William O. Douglas
jasonI
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Metals Mogul » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:39 pm

jasonI wrote:Oh, and another thing. I know if you are looking into melting lead you have already seen the precautionary statements, but safety first you know. Lead and the other heavy metals set into your bones and they are there for life. If you can smell it you are ingesting it, so well ventilated and all that jazz. The Romans used lead piping and even seasoned food with lead, and according to some accounts this may have lead ;) to their downfall. Don't be a Roman.

Thanks for the info! And I enjoy a good pun now and again :lol:
Selling CTU's for $140 SHIPPED w/ DC...PM me!
Metals Mogul
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Metals Mogul » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:42 pm

I'll have to try this sometime too. (I have too much free time)!
Metals Mogul
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jasonI » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:19 am

Metals Mogul wrote:I'll have to try this sometime too. (I have too much free time)!

Lead is great. All you need is a good hot wood fire and you can have your way with it. Wish women were that easy :lol:
jasonI
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Metals Mogul » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:01 am

jasonI wrote:
Metals Mogul wrote:I'll have to try this sometime too. (I have too much free time)!

Lead is great. All you need is a good hot wood fire and you can have your way with it. Wish women were that easy :lol:

:lol:
Metals Mogul
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:49 am

The easiest source of lead is the neighbor's wheel weights...preferably obtained at 2AM while they're cranking their stereo when everyone else is trying to sleep.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Metals Mogul » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:38 am

Haha! You have some..."un-liked" neighbors I take it?
Metals Mogul
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Talk to roofing companies. They will sell you old roofing flashings made of lead. You will be surprised how much lead you can find on an old commercial flat roof.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jasmatk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Buying wheel weights is way cheaper than buying pure lead.I get mine at tire shops.Just offer to pay a little more than the scrap yards are offering(about 15 cent per Lb.)melt them down in a cast iron pan that you plan on never cooking food in again.all the steel clips and non lead weights float on top of the molten lead just scoop them off.Now I will give you a few tips I learned the hard way.

-buy a face shield and heavy duty gloves.long pants,boots,ect.
-make sure your wheel weights are totally dry before melting(a little moisture can create a huge explosion of hot lead,even a drop of sweat)
-pre-heat your molds
-use candle wax to flux with.get a cheap pack of emergency candles and use about 2 inches of one to flux with.
-melt it outside!

Be safe and have fun.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:56 pm

The firing squad walls located in the rear corner of the FEMA camps are full of lead. Many of the bodies buried nearby also have lead in them. Just check for exit wounds first to speed up the search.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Computer Jones » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:29 am

Old Car and Truck batteries are 100% lead.
They usually are found while cruising alleys or behind gas stations.
Baking soda makes the acid less noxious, and is good to pour into the cavities.
Smack them with a log maul and melt the plates on a wood fire outside.
Candle wax is a good flux as mentioned prior.

ANOTHER WARNING: DON'T SNIFF THE FUMES!!!!! (Unless you desire the eternal BUZZ you will not return from and die.)

I make my ingots outside on a wood fire, heating a cast iron pan makes a good mold.
Stack on, or pour into: .45, .357, or buffalo bullet mold of your choice.
They also make good fishing weights.

Wheel weights are better suited for "tin" soldier molds.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby My2Cents » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:51 pm

I cast my own bullets from a lot of wheel weights, fishing sinkers, scrap roof flashing etc. If you're looking for a good source for lead, I recommend stopping by a local indoor shooting range that has a nice hard backstop. You can shovel the lead up and take it home. Some gun ranges keep the stuff and recycle it, some don't. Never hurts to ask.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby slickeast » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:52 pm

I like the " melt outside" advise. That means someone has actually done it inside.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:28 am

slickeast wrote:I like the " melt outside" advise. That means someone has actually done it inside.

I used to write product instructions, and you wouldn't believe the level of human stupidity I had to take into account... :?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage