Computer power supply wire,is it copper?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Computer power supply wire,is it copper?

Postby mj74 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:31 am

It has a silver coating to it,but if I scratch it,it seems to have a copper color. Is there a technical term or name for this type of wire? Is it copper?

mj74
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Computer power supply wire,is it copper?

Postby INTRINSICK » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:07 am

Yes that is copper.when in doubt scratch it. There is also copper plated aluminum wire out there 'mostly in tv's' Every wire in a power supply is copper. Dont forget the little silver colored wires on top of the circuit board,they are copper too
INTRINSICK

Postby Hades12 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:27 am

The silver is solder where they were tinned to solder into the board. put it all in a 50 gallon barell and al wire will no longer matter.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby mj74 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:59 pm

INTRINSICK wrote:Yes that is copper.when in doubt scratch it. There is also copper plated aluminum wire out there 'mostly in tv's' Every wire in a power supply is copper. Dont forget the little silver colored wires on top of the circuit board,they are copper too

I have come across a few power supplies,where the wire magnetized,which I thought was odd. I just put that wire in my insulated pile,since it magnetized,I knew it wasn't going to pass for copper.
mj74
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Hades12 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:08 pm

very low end stuff has CCS in it now. Copper clad Steel. we see it in audio kits from time to time. will not install it, goes right in the trash barrel.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby messymessy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:46 pm

mj74 wrote:I have come across a few power supplies,where the wire magnetized,which I thought was odd. I just put that wire in my insulated pile,since it magnetized,I knew it wasn't going to pass for copper.

You shouldn't even put it in your insulated pile. The prices for insulated wire are typically based on amount of recoverable copper in the insulated wire.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mj74 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:55 pm

lol I meant to post that I put it in my trash pile. I have only come across 2 power supplies with that kind of wire in the 4 years that I have been scrapping. I have always figured the power supply wire as copper,so when I got some that magnetized I was a little surprised.
mj74
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage