Any alternative to copper pennies for buying copper?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Any alternative to copper pennies for buying copper?

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:14 am

I know that copper coins are probably never going to drop below their face value on the secondary market. If copper were to drop down to much, much lower levels however, what would be a good way to stock up on copper in non-coin form?

Standardized bars are sold, I know, but anywhere I've looked, they carry a huge premium above spot price. Is there a particular form of new industrial or scrap copper that can be easily found and sells for close to spot price? I have the same question concerning nickel.

Thanks!
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Re: Any alternative to copper pennies for buying copper?

Postby Hades12 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:00 am

Hit up your LSY and pickup clean #1 their spread should be .30 to .40 a pound over what they pay and still below spot.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Computer Jones » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Any place they are tearing down, especially factories, are a great source of Cu.
Plumbing and the electrical rooms are great places to grab Cu.
Ask who's in charge and he just might let you pick thru the trash heap or give you first try too buy if they are separating materials too recycle.
Any 1 1/2" (or bigger) plumbing is worth more than melt for folks that like to make devices which concentrate liquids vaporizing below 212 Degrees F.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks for all the advice so far! Can anyone reccomend a good, user friendly website that breaks down the numbers and lists some kind of average going rate etc. for each?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby Computer Jones » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:26 am

The best is to call your local scrap yard(s) and ask what they are paying for #1 and #2 today.
The price changes quickly, call early in the morning (or late PM if falling) and get the name of who you spoke with to try and lock in a price to buy.
Once you develop a relationship, you may get a better buy (or sell) price.
Scrapping out demo sites is really a good deal when you can get one.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby captainpooby » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:19 am

Computer Jones wrote:Any place they are tearing down, especially factories, are a great source of Cu.
Ask who's in charge and he just might let you pick thru the trash heap or give you first try too buy if they are separating materials too recycle.
Any 1 1/2" (or bigger) plumbing is worth more than melt for folks that like to make devices which concentrate liquids vaporizing below 212 Degrees F.

LOL. What you did there, I see it.
Always look out for number one. Unless someone is throwing poop around.

The look out for number two.
captainpooby

Postby silver » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:28 pm

HI
Copper buss bars from old circuit breakers are another good source.
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 am

Computer Jones wrote:Any place they are tearing down, especially factories, are a great source of Cu.

:lol: :clap: :thumbup:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:02 am

Find a source for worn-out refrigerator compressors. It is a lot of work, but you can get #1 copper wire out of them. When I find them, I get to haul them away for free, so I am out only the labor to tear them apart.

They contain a "highly refined mineral oil". That may be valuable, too.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage