speaker magnets

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

speaker magnets

Postby ilyaz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:34 pm

I pulled out a few speakers out of old TVs and monitors I took apart. Are they worth anything more than just steel? Thanks
ilyaz
Penny Sorter Member

Re: speaker magnets

Postby theirrationalist » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:51 pm

They are also made of ferrite, which was described in this thread. It's just ferrite that has been magnetized.

The reason high fidelity speakers became so small as of recent, is the discover of neodymium magnets. If your speaker has a neodymium magnet (not very likely in my experience), it is just as value able as the ferrite as far as the scrap yard is concerned. Right now there is not a single rare earth recycler operating in our country. There are some in Japan, however, because china capped its rare earth metal exports to Japan. If you remember what japan did when we capped our oil exports to them in the early '40s, then you have a pretty good idea of their thoughts on the Chinese right about now. But I digress.

I like to keep any magnets I come across. They are a pretty useful tool; Never know when you may need them. In that sense, they are not worthless. I usually don't bother pulling them out of speakers though, because they can be a hassle.
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ilyaz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:32 pm

theirrationalist wrote: There are some in Japan, however, because china capped its rare earth metal exports to Japan.

Thanks!

So does this mean that I can eBay all those magnets I pulled out of old computer harddrives to some poor (or not so poor) soul in Japan?

Speaking of these magnets, I was thinking of incorporating them into some kitchen-related woodwork I make occasionally. E.g. to hang pots and pans. Do you know if I have to keep these magnets away from certain things. I guess in the past you would have to be careful with magnetic tapes and such that could be damaged in any way by such a magnet?
ilyaz
Penny Sorter Member

Postby theirrationalist » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:34 pm

ilyaz wrote:
theirrationalist wrote: There are some in Japan, however, because china capped its rare earth metal exports to Japan.

Thanks!

So does this mean that I can eBay all those magnets I pulled out of old computer harddrives to some poor (or not so poor) soul in Japan?

Speaking of these magnets, I was thinking of incorporating them into some kitchen-related woodwork I make occasionally. E.g. to hang pots and pans. Do you know if I have to keep these magnets away from certain things. I guess in the past you would have to be careful with magnetic tapes and such that could be damaged in any way by such a magnet?

Keep them away from knives! :D
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby justoneguy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Keep them away from knives! :D[/quote]

why would i keep a magnet away from a knife ??
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theirrationalist » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:24 pm

justoneguy wrote:
why would i keep a magnet away from a knife ??

I guess you've never messed around with a neodymium magnet before. If your hand gets between the magnet and the knife, you will get stabbed/cut.

... or were you being facetious?
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby justoneguy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:08 pm

i was just asking because we keep our knives on a magnet strip.
thought maybe it would mess with the blade.
i wouldn't try that with a rare earth magnet tho
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Hades12 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:11 pm

I own an audio shop and throw away big magnets all the time. we put them in a barell till I get enough then throw them in an old car at the house. Last car I sent off the guy said everyone at the junk yard was in it getting them out for projects and stuff.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage