Pewter Scrap- More pictures and the finished bar!

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Re: Pewter Scrap- More pictures and the finished bar!

Postby frugi » Wed May 15, 2013 12:29 pm

i have been collecting pewter for awhile, and I didnt really know why. It is worth more than I thought. Time to be more proactive in my searches.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Wed May 15, 2013 12:33 pm

I have been picking it up when I see it cheap. 50 cents or a buck for a bowl or something at goodwill or a yard sale. I might have enough to make a bar now. I certainly will by the end of the summer. I like to come home and weigh the piece. I usually do pretty well. Typically I'll score $5 in metal for 50 cents. Nice little extra to find these when you strike out at a stop in terms of coins/gold/etc.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Wed May 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Has anyone sold pewter and got tin price for it? I would like to find a place that buys it...
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Pewter Scrap

Postby lovelight » Mon May 20, 2013 4:26 pm

Tantalar wrote:It's depressing to see some very nice pieces in that pile! I have excellent success selling pewter tankard/stein/mugs. I have sold them as well as what looked like pewter shot glasses. I have had excellent success with Steiff pewter, as well as Metawa but particularly "English pewter" like Leonard. Even pewter that is inscribed to people sells well unless it is horribly disfigured or stained. For a set of 8 small shot glasses I got $30 and on multiple occasions I have sold steins with or with out lids for $20+. I have sold the companion small pitcher to that huge one you have for 18 and have seen that one command prices over $25. I NEVER have any luck selling pewter plates or bowls.

For anyone that comes across armetale, don't confuse it with pewter. They look and feel similar and a scrapyard would probably give you cast aluminum for them. They can be very valuable. I once sold a set of 8 wilton columbia plates in well used condition for over $90 on ebay

But I guess if ebay is not your thing and you just want to melt it then so be it lol

i came across 2 "horn mugs" from wilton armetale at an auction couple years ago contacted the company found out they are from the early 70's they do look like pewter but have different hallmarks on them. im still trying to find the right setting to get what they are worth for them since i mostly do community yard sales where people offer a dollar a piece lol. nice too see someone else who knows what armetale is
lovelight

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Mon May 20, 2013 6:58 pm

Where do you find what the spot price of pewter is?
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pennysaved » Mon May 27, 2013 6:50 pm

I have to admit it is a little sad to see some of those vintage pieces being melted down :( but the bar is cool.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Mon May 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Looks like E-bay can get you about $10 per pound gross.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Fri May 31, 2013 8:23 pm

From The Foundry Zone: http://www.thefoundryzone.com/metals/Pewter.htm
(no date given)

"Melting and casting Pewter into clean ingots for sale can be a profitable business just by itself as a highly sought after metal for others to work with. It all starts with raw materials and Pewter ingots are currently selling in the Twenty dollar range per pound and rising."
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage