CuNi25 as Scrap?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

CuNi25 as Scrap?

Postby Rexor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:39 pm

I process lots of obsolete coins and come across many damaged or plain old ugly coins that have no numismatic value. The plurality are CuNi25 and they accumulate fast. Would they be scrappable? What grade? They would all be foreign obsolete. Thanks for any input.
Rexor

Re: CuNi25 as Scrap?

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Scrap CuNi alloys are priced in between copper and pure nickel prices at scrap yards. So if your local yard is paying $3.00/lb for #2 copper and $8.00/lb for pure nickel, CuNi will get you $4.25/lb or higher, depending on composition.

That said, many yards will only pay stainless steel price for a small amount of cupro-nickel. You need to have several pounds, and then you'll have to shop around to get a good price.

Save the junk in the bucket and when you have 20 lbs or so start making some phone calls to your local yards.

Some people in the market area forums may also want to buy junk CuNi coins directly.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rexor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Thanks Doc!
Rexor

Postby Robarons » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:51 pm

If anyone has ever been able to get a fair price for CuNi. esp. with coins- chime in because many people are interested in your experiences including me.

The yards I have been too seem very unlikely on giving fair prices for CuNi let alone even Nickel.

It is harder to imagine the yard ever taking foreign coins or even American coins such as pennies, nickels.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage