Door lock parts

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Door lock parts

Postby TXBullion » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:51 am

What are the parts do a lock made of? The cylinder, the handles , the latch? I know the keys are brass

Thanks
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Door lock parts

Postby TXBullion » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:32 am

As always, thanks for finding it, should have just searched myself :oops: I guess its the advice of familiar people at a site like RC that I like :wave:
TXBullion

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Modern house door locks are usually a mix of brass, steel and diecast (zinc alloy). There are also stainless steel components, particularly on more expensive higher security models. If they are mostly brass I sell them as dirty brass, otherwise as irony aluminum or light iron (shred), depending on the composition.

Since locks are designed to resist tools, trying to separate them to get a better price is futile. The cheap ones that come apart easy have little or no brass.

Solid brass locks and hardware aren't very common anymore, and often have far greater value as parts than scrap.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Dr. Cadmium wrote:Modern house door locks are usually a mix of brass, steel and diecast (zinc alloy). There are also stainless steel components, particularly on more expensive higher security models. If they are mostly brass I sell them as dirty brass, otherwise as irony aluminum or light iron (shred), depending on the composition.

Since locks are designed to resist tools, trying to separate them to get a better price is futile. The cheap ones that come apart easy have little or no brass.

Solid brass locks and hardware aren't very common anymore, and often have far greater value as parts than scrap.

Thanks for the tips
TXBullion

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Primarily you will get "Dirty Brass" aka "Brass with Steel" price for them. Honestly, they are mostly steel, but I guess the brass coating is enough to justify it for the scrapyard. Older ones have potential to be real brass, but those also may have antique remodeling value so don't automatically scrap them!
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage