Safety Precautions

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Safety Precautions

Postby prohobo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Semi-new guy here, was registered over at the old website but was more of a lurker. Just got into scrapping not too long ago, made my first curb run about a month back.

Had a question though, I've looked through this board and haven't seen anything on safety precautions people use while they're breaking down scrap metal. I started on this yesterday and had gloves, eye protection and respirator, but was wondering if there was anything I'm missing.

Thanks for any help.
prohobo

Re: Safety Precautions

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:14 pm

Know what the material is before working. Some toxic materials absorb through skin and others produce harmful dust.

Also double-check an item before you put any kind of power tool or flame to it. I'm sure most of the regulars here have heard one story or another about someone who started to cut a large piece of magnesium with a torch (don't do it unless you want an uncontrollable fire).

Store chemicals safely. Items like waste fuel and waste oil need to be clearly marked and stored far away from any kind of activity.

Know what the item is before breaking it down. Some harmless looking items can house extremely dangerous radioactive elements, heavy metals or explosive components. Read about the Goiânia accident in Brazil. It's an extreme example but there are countless other less deadly incidents that could have been completely prevented with a little reading. Now with the internet, pre-breakdown research is even easier.

Know local laws. Certain items and materials are illegal to sell as scrap in some states, and other items have special restrictions regarding sale and transport. Also, curbside scavenging, dumpster diving and other scrapping activities are subject to state and local regulations.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 pm

You gotta have an eye out for critters, too. You're messing with their dinner sometimes!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby prohobo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:14 am

Much appreciated you two. Guess I'll take some time before I start breaking out torches and power tools...

Edit: Ok, next question. I'm looking up any restrictions to curbside scrapping. Is there a key word that I should use, everything I've looked up so far points to recycling and waste management pickup. Nothing about scrapping.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing, or not much, regarding curbside pickup. We do have a couple scrappers in my parents neighborhood that I know about.
prohobo

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:24 pm

Ordinances regarding curbside scavenging, dumpster diving, etc. are typically done at the town/city level so you'll have to check with each one individually. When in doubt, I just call and ask the local police since what they say goes regardless of what's actually on the books.

Typically, anything that's out for trash pickup on the curb or in a dumpster is OK to take unless it's secured with a lock or there is a specific local law or ordinance against it. And most homeowners will let you take junk they've put out if you ask, which negates every law on the subject I've read.

Most states have their laws online and you can search through your state's main government site or one of their sub-sites. Search for terms such as "scrap metal" , "recycling", "metal theft", etc. If there's any ambiguity, ask a local attorney.

If someone here wants a good web site project, one that compiles scrap laws by state and city would be very useful.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage