A new way to get free scrap.

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

A new way to get free scrap.

Postby cyberdan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Every saturday I hit the yardsale circuit, always 50-60 miles. My main hunt is for gold, silver and ebay sellables. Over the last few months I have added computers, cell phones, brass, copper and copper wires.

Well last saturday I asked about my usual things and a lady gave me (free) a box that had the guts to two computers. (great just what I want and I didn't have to work to get it out) She also had a VCR/DVD player. I usually turn them down but she had just given me the e-scrap so I accepted planning on dumping it in the trash when I got home. Later on my route was a small yardsale with nothing but old junk and tools. He also had a 50' orange extension cord tangled up with another heavyduty black cord. I offered a dollar (at yardsales I am dollardan) he wouldn't take it so I left. I got back to my car and remembered the VCR/DVD and brought it back to the sale. I offered to trade and he liked the idea.

So I think from now on I will accept nicer electronic things that have no value to me just so I can offer to trade for something I want.
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Re: A new way to get free scrap.

Postby Hades12 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:41 pm

My local yard will take DVD's and VCR's are metal scrap.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Re: A new way to get free scrap.

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Sometimes you have to take the junk to get access to the better stuff. True for all sorts of items, not just electronics.

Some of my local yards will also take intact DVDs and VCRs as light iron/shred scrap.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage