Pots and pans

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Pots and pans

Postby ilyaz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:58 pm

While dumpster diving, I often come across pots and pans. The problem is, unless it's an aluminum pot, I don't know of a good way of figuring out what they are made of and, more importantly, what they are worth as scrap. OK, if a magnet sticks to it, I guess I just throw it into the iron/steel pile. But what if it does not and it's not aluminum? Are there any "quick and dirty" rules of classifying pots and pans scrap? Thanks!
ilyaz
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Pots and pans

Postby davycoppitt » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:35 pm

You could try to scratch it. Stainless will glide easy while aluminum will dig in a bit more. Does anybody know what scrap yards would classify pans with teflon coating on them as?
davycoppitt
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:27 pm

Short answer: if it's non-magnetic use a grinding wheel, angle grinder, rotary tool or similar device. Stainless steel will spark, aluminum will not.

Basically, a modern pot or pan is:

1) Aluminum. Non-magnetic. Scratches easily with a knife. Does not spark. Usual classifications are sheet aluminum, utensil aluminum, or cast aluminum. Some yards buy all aluminum for the same price.

2) Steel. Strongly magnetic. Much harder to scratch. Sparks when put to a grinder. Thinner pots go as light iron, thick cast iron as steel.

3) Stainless steel. Non-magnetic.* Hard to scratch like steel. Sparks when put to a grinder.

*Some types of stainless steel are semi-magnetic. However, many yards will only buy it as normal steel if it's magnetic, especially if you only have a few pounds.

davycoppitt wrote:what scrap yards would classify pans with teflon coating on them as?

Depends on the yard. Some yards would consider that dirty or painted aluminum, which goes for a slightly lower price. Others don't care.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ilyaz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:46 pm

Dr. Cadmium wrote:
Basically, a modern pot or pan is:

Thanks Doc! You really know your metals!
ilyaz
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:12 pm

After awhile you'll recognize most household metals by sight and feel and you won't need to do much testing.

Precious metals are more difficult.

Electronic scrap is even more complicated.

And then there's exotics...
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rambo_k9 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:12 am

I've done a little bit of pots and pans... Metal = Money. I trust my magnet but I don't get too involved after that. I let my Scrapyard guy guide me.
rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage