anyone sold Canadian copper cents to a scrap yard?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

anyone sold Canadian copper cents to a scrap yard?

Postby Economist » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:52 pm

Been wondering if scrapyards take Canadian copper... given that they're 98%, what would they scrap as?
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Re: anyone sold Canadian copper cents to a scrap yard?

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:53 pm

There are laws regarding melting coins, so many yards simply will not buy coins of any kind... unless they have their own penny hoard going!

You'd have to call around and ask your local yards to find out.

A very competitive yard will buy #1 copper in small quantities at just over 80% of the spot price. I assume that's what Canadian pennies would be classified as. Someone who deals more with copper will know.

You're probably better off selling them in bulk as bullion to another hoarder than scrapping them.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:50 pm

After calling 6 or more scrap yards in Phoenix, I found one that will take Canadian copper coins as scrap. (I had her double check with the owner). The bad news is they said they'd pay $2.50lb.
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:08 pm

Derek.Sheriff wrote:After calling 6 or more scrap yards in Phoenix, I found one that will take Canadian copper coins as scrap. (I had her double check with the owner). The bad news is they said they'd pay $2.50lb.

How many copper canadian cents make a pound :?:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:53 pm

According to HighRoller: "There have been a ton of numbers thrown out there but the average mix seems to be $1.74 Ca copper pennies to 1 lb."
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:11 am

it depends on the year. There are 4 different weights. 1977 and before; '78 to '79; '80 to '81; and '82 to '96. so each pound of copper pennies is likely to have a different value.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage