Working for free at a scrap yard

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Working for free at a scrap yard

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:21 pm

I manage to make a living in the private security industry by working 180-220 days a year, but I can't and don't want to do this forever. When I'm not working my normal job, I do a lot of volunteer work and now I'm sorting pennies as much as I can with this low cost machine:

http://copperpennysorter.com/Coinalyzer ... DIYKIT.htm

But I'd like to see how much I can earn collecting scrap from free sources also. Here's my crazy idea:

Ask a local scrap yard if they will let me work in their yard for free, so that I can learn more about the different categories of metals, what they look for, how they are priced etc. This would give them some free labor and I would become a better scrap collector by knowing what to look for, how to spot deals and how they'd like their customers to separate stuff.

Thoughts?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Re: Working for free at a scrap yard

Postby Rosco » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:10 pm

They may turn you down for Insurance reasons but being the weak mind ;) on the buying scale would teach you a lot
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:22 pm

Rosco wrote:They may turn you down for Insurance reasons but being the weak mind ;) on the buying scale would teach you a lot

That thought had crossed my mind for sure. Maybe I could work something out where I bring them scrap metal free and then turn around and let them employ me at minimum wage as a temp for a day or two. I'm just trying to think outside the box and I welcome any ideas!
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:56 pm

You don't need to work at a scrap yard. There's plenty to learn right here.

Personally, I never pass up metal of any kind. Friday's scrap run brought in another 200 bucks.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:05 pm

I would want to work there and just breakdown stuff thats brought in, cords on stuff, motors alum with steel on it I bet I could cover the hourly wage with the scrap!!
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Economist » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:56 pm

I think attempting to "volunteer" at that kind of business is going to send a bad signal. Like if you were to say "I want to volunteer to work in the vault of your bank."

Better to find one with a job opening, pose as the just-so qualified person (I suspect you would be waaaay overqualified based on your day job and the fact that you're savvy to coins & such), and put in a week or two before bowing out.

Better even yet, do a ton of research and open your own scrapyard! My limited experience tells me that scrapyards tend to be:

1) filthy disgusting (understandable out "in the yard," not so much in the office)
2) run by non-business savvy, un-professional slobs
3) hence: not "run like a business"

So be a great entrepreneur, get in there and run it like a business- you know, have signs, convenient hours, a clean and tidy premises, friendly, intelligent employees, advertising, etc. With the trend of scrap prices, it could be a great time for professionals to make inroads here?
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:33 pm

Economist wrote:Better even yet, do a ton of research and open your own scrapyard!

You read my mind! I guess working at one or more would be part of the research process. You gave me some good ideas. Thanks!
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby cyberdan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:00 pm

probably a faster way to learn is go out and get some brass and copper, etc.
Get a few pounds of what you will be selling to them. Even if it costs you more than you wll get. Take in just a few pounds of a few things. Everytime I take in metals I learn something. I have only gone in 4-5 times so I am still new at that end. Where I go someone will come up to your car and help you sort. Not because they are good guys but because they want it sorted correctly and make sure no steel. My last batch I brought in wire and learned #2 and #3. I get more profecient every time. I would not want to work there. Just ask questions and if they speak english you just might get some answers.
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage