Reverse vending

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Reverse vending

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:19 pm

There's an aluminum can reverse vending machine near where I live. They pay well below what most scrap yards pay, but it's convenient for many people and I imagine that's why they use it, as opposed to going to a scrap yard. Has anyone on the forum thought about purchasing one of these machines, or providing some kind of lower cost (to the business owner), less capital intensive equivalent service?

For example, has anyone ever posted an ad on craigslist offering to pick up aluminum cans for cash, or maybe setting up some kind of can collection point (think of the large book and clothing donation containers you see in grocery store parking lots everywhere)? I had an idea that maybe people could just attach a zip tie or tag to the bag of cans they deposited with their email address that would allow them to be paid for their can deposit via PayPal the next day.

Thoughts?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Re: Reverse vending

Postby hobo finds » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:08 pm

I would hang out by it and offer to buy others cans. By me there is a place that has an electronics drop off box.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:25 pm

hobo finds wrote:I would hang out by it and offer to buy others cans. By me there is a place that has an electronics drop off box.

Great idea! Now why didn't I think of that!!!!
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby messymessy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:02 pm

The machines that pay for aluminum cans are rather expensive. Last time I looked, they were going for about $12,000. It would be hard to get enough can volume to justify that big of an expense.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cyberdan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:45 pm

Derek.Sheriff wrote:of cans they deposited with their email address that would allow them to be paid for their can deposit via PayPal the next day.

Where I live most Aluminum can recyclers would have no idea what paypal is, have a computer or even speak english. Next time i catch one rummaging through my garbage I should ask.
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Postby nero12345 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 pm

i have done it for coins. put an add on kijijji and craiglist stating i'll pick up sort and payout cash for coins, less a 8% fee. it took about a week but i got my first call. made 18 bucks with the fee and it took about 15 minutes to sort,weigh. Took it home and sorted for nickel,silver and copper and took the rest to the bank. Did pretty good and now i'm getting 2-3 calls a day. I ask appprox. how much they have and schedule accordingly. once or twice i've got there only to find out they have 10 or 20 bucks worth. I just laugh, thats life i guess. only reason i started was the banks were starting to give me [shucks] about buying so much. also its mostly nickels,dimes and pennies that people save, loonies and toonies get spent. i'm selling most of the junk coins to local business' ,at face of course. saves them a brinks call for change.talking to the old ladies is funny and sometimes annoying at the same time.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage