Appliance finds, need advice

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Appliance finds, need advice

Postby cuppoor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Heavy trash day is tomorrow in my neighborhood and so I did the rounds and picked up a washing machine, two dehumidifiers (one of them works so I'm craigslisting it), vacuum cleaner, celling fan and some various other iron things. My question is with the washing machine and one of dehumidifiers. Is it worth it to disassemble these for non ferrous before going to the scrap yard? There is also an upright fridge down the street that I can pick up and am wondering if it's worth it to throw it in the F150 to make my scrapyard trip more worthwhile. What do you typically get per pound for a fridge? I don't want to take it apart because it's all self contained and internally encased in foam.
cuppoor
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Appliance finds, need advice

Postby hobo finds » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:53 pm

Grab the fridge as you will be going to the yard more steel. .07 a pound for steel by me. As for the other items if you can break them down you make more money just depends on the time you want to put in to it...
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby wayne1956 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:20 pm

Problem is with the fridge is MOST yards will not take it if the freon has not been taken out and if the compressor is still in it. All the yards around me require the compressor be removed and the compressor oil be drained out. As far as how much you get for it, it is the same as any other appliance.
Last edited by wayne1956 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:36 pm

In AZ no freon laws yet so it's ok as is
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Hades12 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:38 pm

It is worth taking the motor out of the washing machine real good weight on them. the Dehumidifier should have a good size coil. if you like to maka mess the fridge will have an al coil in the back of the freezer and the compressor can be cut open for the copper.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage