learning the ropes: good sources of scrap?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Re: learning the ropes: good sources of scrap?

Postby hobo finds » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:49 am

davycoppitt wrote:I don't know the answer to you question about getting a toy out of the garbage,some laws can be insanely stupid and they are getting worse and worse. I'll ask on monday. I know we own the bins that are used for garbage. I also don't know how I would be breaking the law since I have permission from the owners, my bosses, even if I don't have permission from the homeowners. I am on the fence on this one, but for a selfish reason. It helps me and I am a selfish person, others picking up the metal competes with the amount of metals I get. Morally I see nothing wrong with it just because it is against the law doesn't necessarily mean it is wrong.

Heres my take on it everyone around here is charged $16.72 a month for garbage/recycling and a 2 time a year bulky item pick up. The city makes more than enough money on it. I agree that when the trucks do come buy all that is left is brush, most of the metals gone. It is aginst the law to take but people do. I feel that if it is my stuff and I pay for the service I can do what I want with my items. As for other peoples stuff ask them and they will let you take it most of the time. If items are out when there is no bulk pick up scheduled then it should be fair game to take.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby junior30king » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Hades12 wrote:
junior30king wrote:Precious metals, which creates a demand for the materials. I have a price sheet under "what did you scrap", microwaves have motors, wiring and only take a few minutes to dismantle. I sell the capacitors and magnatrons.

Where do you sale the capacitors and magnatrons to? I have been throwing capacitors (motor starters) away.

On Ebay if they are in good working order. Have not found a scrap buyer on these as of yet.
junior30king

Postby junior30king » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Most larger cities require you to have a junk collectors permit. While sanitation companies claim that it is there property it is actually "abandoned property", Federal law dictates that anything placed on the curb is "public domain". Many cases have been won due to law enforcement agencies collecting evidence out of garbage without a warrant. It all boils down to money, permits and tickets allow cities to collect revenue from individuals who usually don't pay any taxes on there earnings. For those of us who scrap for a living we have no choice but to pay taxes. You have to remember that the government only has one means of revenue "taxes" and who pays taxes? All of us. If you get one of these tickets then take it to court. If your city does not have an ordinance requiring a permit then you should have no problem winning. Even the guy who works for the sanitation company says that he brings metal home, how does that work?
junior30king

Postby junior30king » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:26 pm

junior30king wrote:Most larger cities require you to have a junk collectors permit. While sanitation companies claim that it is there property it is actually "abandoned property", Federal law dictates that anything placed on the curb is "public domain". Many cases have been won due to law enforcement agencies collecting evidence out of garbage without a warrant. It all boils down to money, permits and tickets allow cities to collect revenue from individuals who usually don't pay any taxes on there earnings. For those of us who scrap for a living we have no choice but to pay taxes. You have to remember that the government only has one means of revenue "taxes" and who pays taxes? All of us. If you get one of these tickets then take it to court. If your city does not have an ordinance requiring a permit then you should have no problem winning. Even the guy who works for the sanitation company says that he brings metal home, how does that work?

In case you are wondering how I know about federal law. I just watched a show not too long ago featuring the F.B.I. catching a counterfeiter by going through his garbage and stating all of this. Of course they quoted cases and laws which I do not care to remember. Law enforcement and even other elected officials will try to do whatever they feel like doing. It is up to all of us to stand up and fight for our individual rights and freedoms.
junior30king

Postby theirrationalist » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:51 am

That precedent was set forth by the United States Congress in the infamous California v. Greenwood case. And I completely agree.
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby schilcott » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:02 pm

Just to add to th garbage picking thing....As a garbage truck driver i have never heard of anyone being charged for taking things from th garbage. We want you to so that we don't have to load it and most of us hate seeing all that metal going to landfill. but if you're in my area please leave the copper
schilcott

Postby theirrationalist » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:31 pm

schilcott wrote: but if you're in my area please leave the copper

:D
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby junior30king » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:20 pm

I just learned something new last night. Apparently it is not illegal to melt pennies. I have been scrapping for many years and I personally did not know that. Something about a law from 1909 that made it legal. Did every one but me know that?

Back to original topic. I actually witnessed a guy riding a bicycle with a fair sized trailer attached. He was grabbing sheet iron and all. Save money on gas but I can't imagine the WORKOUT! Just thought I would share that. Personally I don't care what people do as long as they are respectful. I have seen people dig through the garbage and just throw stuff every where. I can only imagine how pissed off the home or property owner would be.
junior30king

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:15 am

junior30king wrote:I just learned something new last night. Apparently it is not illegal to melt pennies. I have been scrapping for many years and I personally did not know that. Something about a law from 1909 that made it legal. Did every one but me know that?

Actually, it is currently illegal to melt US pennies in the US. They change the laws periodically to achieve whatever they desire, or to appease lobbyists. You can melt Canadian pennies here. But who would want to melt government issued rounds of known weight and fineness? Of course I have not heard of any cases where they have arrested somebody for melting pennies yet. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby junior30king » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:26 pm

Hey Hoard, Are you currently one of the ones buying pennies? I am trying to find someone who will buy mine for 2 X face but having no luck.
junior30king

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:41 pm

I have been doing some buying.. but only at lower prices. You will have a hard time finding buyers at the 2x level.. since that is not the current market price. At 2x I am a seller rather than a buyer. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Shags29 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:23 pm

I belong to a vacation park that has over 3000 camping sights. 90% are RV's. There are about 15 dumpsters around the place which hold all kinds of things. Microwaves, TV’s, bicycles, VCR's, old folding chairs, you name it, its in one of them at any giving time. Before I found this site I assumed you had to have large quantities to scrap. So even if I grabbed 4 or 5 bicycles I guess it would be worth my time? If you have any suggestions on I would appreciate them.
Shags29

Postby junior30king » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:50 am

It depends on current prices. Right now even small amounts of sheet iron would be worth the trip, a couple of years ago prices were down and it wouldn't have been worth the gas money to bring it in.
junior30king

Previous

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage