A pound of metal per mile......

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Re: A pound of metal per mile......

Postby CrazyTom » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:26 pm

I combined this Saturday and Sunday's ride into one weigh.

1 pound 4 oz aluminum cans, 2 oz brass, 2 oz copper, 6 oz aluminum, 15 oz lead wheel weights, 13 pounds 11 oz steel.

Much of the steel came in an exploded brake assembly. Somebody needs to go to the brake shop!

I found 3 different wrench sockets. I've been saving the decent ones.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom's equation; More Traffic + More Miles = More Metal
CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CrazyTom » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:10 am

Today's totals are from Friday, Saturday and Sunday rides.

14 oz of copper and brass

1 lb 9 oz lead wheel weights

3 oz aluminum

11 lb 10 oz steel

1 lb 2 oz aluminum cans

1 clad quarter, 1 nickel, 2 zinc pennies

This was the weekend for silverware (no silver in it, why do they call it silverware?) 2 forks and 2 spoons, all different in different places.

Also found a license plate (not the first time). Dropped it off at a Checker Auto and told the cops to pick it up there.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CrazyTom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:28 pm

So far I've had a ride every day this week. I'm throwing everything in a box until the week is up.

I found my second hot water tank this month on Monday. I guess it counts as bike metal but I gotta fetch it in the truck
so I'll count it separately. Its in the garage waiting until I got a big enough cache.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Robarons » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:42 pm

Thats the only hazard of bike riding. You stories are inspiring me to ride my bike around my area when it warms up, but if you see something sweet and go fetch the truck it might be gone by the time you come back!
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby CrazyTom » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:19 pm

Robarons wrote:Thats the only hazard of bike riding. You stories are inspiring me to ride my bike around my area when it warms up, but if you see something sweet and go fetch the truck it might be gone by the time you come back!

Once I spied an air conditioning "A" copper coil, already stripped from the steel cabinet, next to a dumpster. I burned rubber home and jumped in the truck and got it.

That was a 30 dollar score.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CrazyTom » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:18 pm

Today's totals are for six days of riding this past week.

22 pounds, 8 oz steel
2 pounds, 6 oz lead wheel weights
2 pounds, 4 oz aluminum cans
4 oz copper/brass
5 oz aluminum
1 copper penny, 3 zinc pennies

Also, by checking prices from my last scrap receipt the value of this week's riding was a little over 3 dollars.

The hot water tank should average $7.50, the brass T&P valve is in a bucket with some friends waiting for more.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Money Searchin' Foo' » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:13 pm

today i went on a small walk for about an hour and 15 minutes...found the following:

1.7 lbs. of steel
9 alum. soda cans
.11 lbs. of stainless steel (included a bong...in the middle of a park, i didnt realize what it was till i got home..oh well, ill just throw it in with the pile)
.09 lbs. of misc. aluminum pieces
5 pull tabs
1 steel key (to a kids toy i believe)
1 copper hoop earring
1 ear piece to enable bluetooth function on a phone
1 really cool mens stainless steel ring
1 large coat/shirt pin with an indian on it, larger around than a morgan dollar, stamped 925!!!!!!! 12 grams sterling!!!!!
1 dime, 1 nickel, and one copper cent too!
all in all, this was definitely my best day for eyeball finds during a walk!!!! i just kept scoring one awesome find right after another!
keep it up and hh!
Money Searchin' Foo'

Postby CrazyTom » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Money Searchin' Foo' wrote:today i went on a small walk for about an hour and 15 minutes...found the following:

1.7 lbs. of steel
9 alum. soda cans
.11 lbs. of stainless steel (included a bong...in the middle of a park, i didnt realize what it was till i got home..oh well, ill just throw it in with the pile)
.09 lbs. of misc. aluminum pieces
5 pull tabs
1 steel key (to a kids toy i believe)
1 copper hoop earring
1 ear piece to enable bluetooth function on a phone
1 really cool mens stainless steel ring
1 large coat/shirt pin with an indian on it, larger around than a morgan dollar, stamped 925!!!!!!! 12 grams sterling!!!!!
1 dime, 1 nickel, and one copper cent too!
all in all, this was definitely my best day for eyeball finds during a walk!!!! i just kept scoring one awesome find right after another!
keep it up and hh!

VERY NICE!

This week has been terrible for getting out on the bike. I did get a short ride in today, tomorrow looks good and I'll post results.

Today I took in my scrap hoard. The hot water tank brought over 8 bucks and the lead wheel weights 2 bucks. Aluminum cans 7 bucks. The rest of the bike steel was mixed with other things. Total take for the day 45 bucks.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:44 am

Robarons wrote:Thats the only hazard of bike riding. You stories are inspiring me to ride my bike around my area when it warms up, but if you see something sweet and go fetch the truck it might be gone by the time you come back!

sounds like you need this:

http://www.bicyclecart.com/

my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CrazyTom » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:11 pm

I have seen homeless people with makeshift carts. Those guys are hardcore.

I should call my Sunday route Old Faithful as today it delivered nicely.

Saturday and Sunday brought 15 pounds of steel, 1 pound of aluminum cans, 15 oz lead, 3 zinc pennies.
The zinc pennies are pretty wimpy, they can't take being run over like the good copper ones.

I noticed near a freeway on-ramp that workers had replaced some traffic signs. They left hand fulls of hardware
all over the gravel next to the road.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Robarons » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:50 pm

I thought one of those carts you put on your bike to pull your kid around would be great if you did the bike scrap thing. But even for me, that would make you look like such a fool!

I see them cheap at garage sales.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby CrazyTom » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Robarons wrote:I thought one of those carts you put on your bike to pull your kid around would be great if you did the bike scrap thing. But even for me, that would make you look like such a fool!

I see them cheap at garage sales.

I know! I try to be discreet when I'm scrounging. My helmet lends me some credibility. I've never seen a
hardcore homeless with a trailer wearing a helmet.

Now, for the Spandex, forget it! You ain't never seeing me in one of those get-ups.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Have you ever opened your door and got out to pick up something at a red light? Talk about funny looks! :D
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CrazyTom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:23 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Have you ever opened your door and got out to pick up something at a red light? Talk about funny looks! :D

Confession: YES. But these days I don't do it when other cars are around.

Let 'em look, as their bank account dwindles away........
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CrazyTom » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:27 pm

Today I was at an apartment complex for work. There was a bin for junk mail by the mailbox. I noticed
an envelope with a Gallup Poll return address. I figured that if the tenant won't answer then I might,
particularly if it were on politics.

There was a one dollar bill inside as a gift to the person who would answer the poll.

Kept the dollar and threw the rest back in the bin.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CrazyTom » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:58 am

Saturday and Sunday rides produced the metal again.

6 lb 15 oz steel
1 lb 3 oz lead
1 lb 4 oz aluminum cans
1 clad quarter
3 zinc pennies
1 copper penny
1 nickel

Approximate value of rides based on recent scrap prices 2 dollars.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CrazyTom » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Today's ride produced one of the best finds yet. A five pound barbell weight, complete with a "5" cast in the face, no rubberizing. Fit perfectly in the bag and I got five miles of metal in one shot.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CrazyTom » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:56 pm

The usual take this weekend, so I haven't bothered to do an itemized weigh. I have added an extra dimension to my weekday and Saturday rides. I now wear a backpack and hit every bank I see for dimes to search for silver. The most I've carried was 530 dollars' worth. It was about one mile from the house and it was HEAVY. I did get at least one silver for my efforts.

This morning a couple of jerkoffs in a POS across the road shouted something at me, but I just patted my fannypack to reassure myself that my little friend was there. They drove off into the oblivion of their useless existence. I'm sure that they weren't on their way to see Atlas Shrugged.

There is a tire shop with some German Shepards behind a chain link fence that hate my guts. Every Sunday morning I have the pleasure of giving them the Buggs Bunny SHADDAP!
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CrazyTom » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:41 pm

Today I got 3 golf balls and a clad quarter.

I have a crate of golf balls. Anyone want to buy them?
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:05 am

CrazyTom wrote:The usual take this weekend, so I haven't bothered to do an itemized weigh. I have added an extra dimension to my weekday and Saturday rides. I now wear a backpack and hit every bank I see for dimes to search for silver. The most I've carried was 530 dollars' worth. It was about one mile from the house and it was HEAVY. I did get at least one silver for my efforts.

This morning a couple of jerkoffs in a POS across the road shouted something at me, but I just patted my fannypack to reassure myself that my little friend was there. They drove off into the oblivion of their useless existence. I'm sure that they weren't on their way to see Atlas Shrugged.

There is a tire shop with some German Shepards behind a chain link fence that hate my guts. Every Sunday morning I have the pleasure of giving them the Buggs Bunny SHADDAP!

Hey Tom. It's been a while since I've read one of your always enlightening, always entertaining posts. Man, not many other members here can include dime sorting, pistol packing, an Ayn Rand title and Bugs Bunny in a single post.

I picked up two clad quarters, one clad dime and one zincoln at a dark Burger King drive through late yesterday. Nice haul for a short walk.

Good luck to all!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CrazyTom » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:10 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
CrazyTom wrote:The usual take this weekend, so I haven't bothered to do an itemized weigh. I have added an extra dimension to my weekday and Saturday rides. I now wear a backpack and hit every bank I see for dimes to search for silver. The most I've carried was 530 dollars' worth. It was about one mile from the house and it was HEAVY. I did get at least one silver for my efforts.

Hey Tom. It's been a while since I've read one of your always enlightening, always entertaining posts. Man, not many other members here can include dime sorting, pistol packing, an Ayn Rand title and Bugs Bunny in a single post.

I picked up two clad quarters, one clad dime and one zincoln at a dark Burger King drive through late yesterday. Nice haul for a short walk.

Good luck to all!

Thanks for that!

I love drive throughs. I carry a water bottle and sometimes it is used to get the sticky ketchup off the coins. In the summer when the sun's up at six is when I do my drive through hunts.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CrazyTom » Sun May 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Work cramped my style this week and even though the overtime is lucrative I still somehow feel more satisfaction for my metal finds. Could it be that this is one little sliver of my life that I can stop the Washington boys from confiscating?

Sunday I got a few extra miles in;

1 lb 4 oz lead wheel weights
4 oz brass
3 lb 9 oz steel
6 oz aluminum
13 oz aluminum cans
2 oz copper wire
one nickel
5 zinc pennies

Value of the ride based on current prices is over $1.00
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat May 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Tom, the lead wheel weights...do you remove the metal clip that connects the weight to the rim/wheel? I've found my share and was wondering.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby CrazyTom » Sun May 08, 2011 7:56 am

No need to fight the clips. The yard has a category for them all by themselves.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun May 08, 2011 8:22 am

Thanks Tom....was trying to figure out how they come off....now that was easy!
TheJonasCollegeFund

PreviousNext

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage