Make sure your load Don't show off.

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Make sure your load Don't show off.

Postby Hades12 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Had a Barrel of #1 Copper that was more full then the short barell could hold. Got Noticed.

Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Re: Make sure your load Don't show off.

Postby Thogey » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:42 pm

OK,

Details? What's all this about. Why the army of cops?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Hades12 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Kind of long.

she come onto the interstate kind of behind me and then kept slowing down to stay behind me. Finally threw the lights at an off ramp. I pulled off in a good area. Put my Pistol on the other seat, rolled down the window and got out my license. She got to the door asked for my licence and regestraton. Gave her the License and told her my gun was on the seat. Looked like she was going to poop a Duck at the word gun. Told me she was going to "Take" it. Got me out of the truck, had me sit down, cuffed me, asked about other Weapons, Told her I had a pocket knife. Got me stood back up, (must have looked like a monkey humping a banna) As I am a bit fat and move like i am 80. got my Old timer, started patting me down, Remembered by Razor knife in my carpenter pants pocket, and checked all up and down. She had a look like I was going to the ground again But I asked for the tailgate of the truck, Dirt was wet and cold. She called for backup, then started asking where I got the stuff. Gave her the lowdown that I buy from HVAC companys. Extra sheriff got there and stood around and a Detective come. Asked them to uncuff me now and they did after the numbers on my gun checked ok. He asked the same questions. Told them I had an SC permit and was going to SC to sale, Gave Him the number to my HVAC guy, They called and got the machine but it did say XXXX heating and air. He said it sounded Ok and took a pic of the load and my tag. She unloaded my gun and put it in my dash pocket. I live in NC and was in NC at the time, They informed me that NC has a permit for over 25 pounds of copper and I should get one, Asked where and they had no clue.

Took about 25 minutes, cost me 1/8 tank of gas with the truck running. My 4yo was in the back seat and did not make a peep the entire time.

Load was good though, 8 short of 1k.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:06 pm

I didn't know you were a black guy!

The cops in your state have way to much time and money on their hands.

Freedom? WTF
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Hades12 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:14 pm

She looked a bit jumpy like she had 4 red bulls this morning.

When she said "take" my gun I asked her if we were still in NC, It was legal where it was at and I had done correctly telling her it was in the truck.

it was odd as she is a Deputy in a County I don't live in, and from the exit ramps I could only have come from the other county, Not the one she was in.

I have taken the same route 10 times or more over the last 3 years of scrapping, the last two loads had coils stacked almost to the top of the cab. This was a short load in comparison.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:44 pm

So if you had no gun, she would have the only cop to deal with this? What could have happened if your AC place did not answer? Would they have taken you in and what would have happened to your kid? Thank God you had all your permits for the gun and selling your AC scrap :!:
hobo finds

Postby Thogey » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:05 pm

hobo, aren't you glad we live in Arizona!?
Thogey

Postby Hades12 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:16 pm

I have a feeling the Dective would have been called anyway. Just to question me on it.

No permit on the gun, NC is a open carry state, Few do it any more. Just the numbers on it come up clean no stolen report or anything like that. NC does have a concel permit, but you can't take it in the bank, which is when I want to carry. I carry in a paddle holster when at one of my shops and then generaly only later at night.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:19 pm

Thogey wrote:hobo, aren't you glad we live in Arizona!?

Yep
hobo finds

Postby Rosco » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:45 pm

I scrap but, normally my scrap is below top of bed. Copper is problem with all the stealing but still with identification for source of material Why the cuffs and putting you on the ground? If I had Grandchild with me I would suggest Asking if I could wait in Vehicle with Child.
The Nanny State is bugging Me, you would think at 74 I would go with the flow.
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Well I am still glad I don't live in Arizona (scorpians and no veg).......and hades......play by the rules.....they may check yeah....but they will let you pass....

Its a Darn shame that honest scraping has come to this. :oops:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Hades12 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:54 pm

yea, I get my permits and keep my records, all on the up and up. If nothing else keeping record is the only way to make sure you are making money for the time spent.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:50 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Well I am still glad I don't live in Arizona (scorpians and no veg).......and hades......play by the rules.....they may check yeah....but they will let you pass....

And rattlesnakes and other snakes, tarantulas and vinegaroons. There is oppressive heat, haboobs, and sheriff Joe. Illegal aliens running around with Holder's AK-47s. There is [shucks] here that you don't want to mess with. There are lots of rocks and cactus and other thorny stuff.

Attention Californians. Arizona is a toilet and you don't want to try it. WV is paradise :D . Oregon is paradise :D

In fact, your chances of survival are probably better in CA.

Please don't try it!
Thogey

Postby jasmatk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:12 am

here in st.pete fl. they have special scrap metal task force a co-worker of mine got pulled over in his personal truck with a load of old water heaters,they gave him a whole thing about metal theft ect.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fb101 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 am

hobo finds wrote:
Thogey wrote:hobo, aren't you glad we live in Arizona!?

Yep

Even with McCain?
fb101

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:21 am

Thogey wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Well I am still glad I don't live in Arizona (scorpians and no veg).......and hades......play by the rules.....they may check yeah....but they will let you pass....

And rattlesnakes and other snakes, tarantulas and vinegaroons. There is oppressive heat, haboobs, and sheriff Joe. Illegal aliens running around with Holder's AK-47s. There is s--t here that you don't want to mess with. There are lots of rocks and cactus and other thorny stuff.

Attention Californians. Arizona is a toilet and you don't want to try it. WV is paradise :D . Oregon is paradise :D

In fact, your chances of survival are probably better in CA.

Please don't try it!

WV Attractive to Californians? Thogey…..PM sent for a flatrate box full of scorpions, cacti, and Javelin eggs.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Robarons » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:34 am

I think they need to get a truck with a couple boom boxes and blare 'Country Roads' by John Denver in California and you will see some new dental customers Rode!
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Hades12 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:39 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
Thogey wrote:

Please don't try it!

WV Attractive to Californians? Thogey…..PM sent for a flatrate box full of scorpions, cacti, and Javelin eggs.

I have seen "Next of Kin" and you guys do not need any help keeping the Cali people out.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby silversaddle1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:36 pm

Junk permits? No [shucks]???? Well here in Iowa they don't stop anyone for hauling scrap. Even the dirtbag junkers who have crap stacked so high on the truck you don't know how they made it to the yard.

We have got a few funny looks from cops and such while hauling loads of scrap rail, but have never been stopped for it. I remember one time when we bought an old spur line out in Nebraska and were scrapping it out. We went to a local yard there and pulled onto the scale. Some guy with half his teeth missing comes running up to me calling me a theif and was going to beat my ass. A quick draw of the 1911 in his face stopped him in his tracks. He said only the railroad can sell scrap rail. I kindly told him it was my railroad and I could do whatever the hell I wanted with it. By then the owner of the yard was there on the scale telling this guy that I did indeed own the rail and that he had already bought 150 ton of rail from me. I guess he wanted to be sure to get the other 300 ton that was still laying in the weeds. Oh, the good old days.

No one ever gives me the stink eye with a load of scrap computers. Darn!

A scrap permit for over 25 pounds of copper? LOL!!!
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby GA-Silver » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:55 pm

I would've had a problem with them cuffing me just because I had a legal gun that I told them about. You might want to contact the sheriff/police chief or whoever supervises this officer and ask them if they detain all persons they come into contact with that is carrying weapons legally. Here in GA, your stop would've been considered an arrest by some, not just investigative detention.
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:52 pm

welcome to AmeriKa.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Wow, detained for obeying the law. Nice....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby slickeast » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:42 am

Where were you in NC and what town were you headed to in SC?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Hades12 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:03 pm

I am in Rutherford County Nc, Got stopped in Polk Co, was going to Wellford SC to Omni.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mercuryman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Absolutely disgusting, i live in NC myself. There is no such state law that i am aware of where you need a permit to haul scrap copper. Your guilty until proven innocent, glad it all worked out.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage