disecting a microwave

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

disecting a microwave

Postby ilyaz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:56 pm

I just took apart my first microwave. Now I am trying to identify a couple of parts -- see photo. The piece on the left I think is the motor that rotates the carousel. Not sure what the small piece on the bottom is. And the big one. Are these worth anything more than just steel?

Thanks.
Attachments
m_parts.jpg
m_parts.jpg (178.35 KiB) Viewed 949 times
ilyaz
Penny Sorter Member

Re: disecting a microwave

Postby Thogey » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:57 pm

Don't see a photo
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby theirrationalist » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:09 pm

the part on the top right is called a MAGNETRON! it is pretty corny name that dates back to the 60's. this is made of a copper core, it has aluminum heat sinks, and couple large plain magnets inside it. people often sell the magnetrons on Ebay. The thing on the bottom is a small motor core, i believe it is made of some type of lead. The thing on the top left is a small DC motor that runs the rotating tray on the inside of the microwave. You can scrap all of them at motor price near my home. If I break the magnetron apart more, i can usually argue it as copper two, but that is only if i spend the time to tear it apart.
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby jasmatk » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:01 am

scrap yards buy me will not take microwaves not sure about ones that are taken apart
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:52 pm

Many yards do not take microwaves because magnetrons often have BeO in them. When the unit goes through a shredder, this can generate carcinogenic dust.

For the same reason, taking apart a magnetron with hand or power tools is not a good idea.

They are worth decent money as a working part. If outdated or non-functioning they can be sold to some yards as scrap electric motors.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage