Photography silver and gold?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Photography silver and gold?

Postby Saabman » Wed May 23, 2012 7:14 am

A friend asked if I knew anything about recycling photography gold and silver. I think that it is gold cyanide, silver cyanide, and silver nitrate. I'm sure that there are companies out there that recycle the stuff but with the word cyanide thrown in there I'm not to sure if that's something to pursue or not. Anybody here have experience with this? Thanks!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Re: Photography silver and gold?

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed May 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Yes, silver is the main element of interest. However, with everything going digital or already so, recycling old film, x-rays and supplies is a dying business.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Saabman » Wed May 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks Dr C.! Do you know the best way of recyclng it? Can you recycle it safely?
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Thu May 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Usually with x-rays and film I sell them to a local dealer - priced per pound they are not worth shipping in small quantities.

As for solutions - smaller refineries that do coins and jewelry usually will not process silver-containing solutions, especially anything with cyanide. You either need to get a large quantity to deal direct to a large refinery that will process it (and take a larger fee) or sell to a middleman.

If you have a small stash of old film or related silver scrap, your best bet is to check your local scrap dealers or search out any specialized recycling companies - one or more may have a branch in your area.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Saabman » Fri May 25, 2012 6:42 am

Thanks for the info!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage