best cutting tool for the trade?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

best cutting tool for the trade?

Postby ilyaz » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:38 pm

Since I am cheap, I have so far managed to avoid using any type of power tool for scrapping -- other than my station wagon. However, it seems that I have to buy some type of power metal cutter. What would be the best tool for the job, in terms of price (both of the tool and blades), ease of use, versatility, and reliability? I have seen sawzall mentioned here a few times, but are there better alternatives?

I do small scale scrapping focusing on copper and aluminum. So the type of cutting I would be doing -- I think -- is cutting off copper piping, cutting open appliances, removing blades from fans of various types to get the motors etc. I will not be cutting huge amounts of steel since I am trying to stay away from scrapping it, just to get through it to other metals.

Thanks
ilyaz
Penny Sorter Member

Re: best cutting tool for the trade?

Postby Kurr » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:51 pm

Angle grinder with grinding and cutting disks.

Takes the heads off them bolts and slices through thin steel bodies/braces/etc.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby aloneibreak » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:12 pm

i use both a sawzall and grinder - its just your personal preference i guess

whatever you decide to buy though, dont skimp

get a decent tool that will last...

ive got along great with dewalt

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-sa ... 85k_2.aspx

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-me ... 411ka.aspx
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby justoneguy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:38 am

I like both the angle grinder and sawzall
but for bigger jobs i really like the blue wrench. :roll:
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ilyaz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks for all the advice. I am leaning toward getting a saw second and a grinder third. But first... It occurred to me that I already have a cordless drill. So the obvious question is: can I buy some type of attachment for it to turn it into a grinder/saw of sorts? I already use it regularly for sanding -- so it seems there should be a similar gizmo for grinding/cutting metal. What would you recommend?
ilyaz
Penny Sorter Member

Postby messymessy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:16 pm

One of the guys at work has a cutting wheel attachment for his cordless drill. It's handy to get into tight spots, but it's not heavy duty enough to scrap with. I'd get a cordless saw that uses the same batteries as your cordless drill.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby abe » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:08 pm

I saw a tool in Lowes yesterday that was 5 tools in one, can't remember all of them, but I will have one. It cost $159, but should pay for itself in no time. After I get one I'll give ya the details.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Heartkill » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:36 pm

I wouldn't recommend a cordless drill for cutoff work. I have pretty decent Milwaukee 18V and even it would be cumbersome to use with a cutoff wheel I would normally use in my 1/4" angle grinder.

I use a Milwaukee 28V cordless sawzall for heavy work. Overkill, yes... but its paid for itself in the long run. I got the kit with 2 batteries, case and charger. If you don't want to spend $350+ like I did, you could always get a Harbor Freight cheapie and use it until it dies. You get what you pay for and as my "go-to" get it done tool, I didn't go cheap.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby silversaddle1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:04 pm

Since you are cheap, you will never make as much money on scrap as you could have.

If you are not willing to invest in your business, you will get very little in return out of it.

My wife and I stared out our scrap business with 1 hammer and 3 screwdrivers. First check we made we bought a sawzall.

That was 21 years ago, and now we scrap full time, and don't worry about money anymore.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby ilyaz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:20 pm

silversaddle1 wrote:Since you are cheap, you will never make as much money on scrap as you could have.

If you are not willing to invest in your business, you will get very little in return out of it.

My wife and I stared out our scrap business with 1 hammer and 3 screwdrivers. First check we made we bought a sawzall.

That was 21 years ago, and now we scrap full time, and don't worry about money anymore.

Well, I have a full time job and a family, so I am treating metal scrapping as "hobby with benefits", since I simply do not have time and space to expand.

When I said that I was cheap this meant that I would buy expensive tools only when I feel I absolutely have to. And even then I prefer to buy what I absolutely have to trying to get by as much as I can with already available resources. From this discussion I see that it's a good idea to start by investing in just one tool, most likely a sawzall. But definitely not more than that.
ilyaz
Penny Sorter Member

Postby messymessy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:36 pm

If you don't have to have a cordless sawzall, you can probably pick up a good sawzall at a garage sale or auction for $20 or $40.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:06 pm

Tools are difficult to find at garage sales, but if you're persistent you can get good deals on used reciprocating saws. This year I picked up a fully working DeWalt with case and blades for $19 and a fully working Milwaukee with case (no blades) for $5.

I recommend a corded one, as they generally have more power and you don't have to worry about expensive batteries. 90% of the cordless power tools I've bought used or found in the trash had issues with the batteries or chargers.

If you're cutting up smaller items or want something more versatile, a Dremel rotary tool is a good investment. These can cut and spark test metals as well as notch unusual screws so you can remove them with a standard screwdriver. They're great for all kinds of hobbies as well.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Computer Jones » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:10 pm

A 5# hand sledge with or with out a 3/4" chisel works pretty good.
A 10# log maul works good too.

I like my sawwzall for applications that need a "finer" touch.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silversaddle1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:47 am

ilyaz wrote:
silversaddle1 wrote:Since you are cheap, you will never make as much money on scrap as you could have.

Well, I have a full time job and a family, so I am treating metal scrapping as "hobby with benefits", since I simply do not have time and space to expand.

When I said that I was cheap this meant that I would buy expensive tools only when I feel I absolutely have to. And even then I prefer to buy what I absolutely have to trying to get by as much as I can with already available resources. From this discussion I see that it's a good idea to start by investing in just one tool, most likely a sawzall. But definitely not more than that.

I understand what you said. My wife and I both had full time jobs and kids too when we started junking. The sky's the limit in this business, it's all up to you and what you are willing to put into it. That's all I was saying. I was not trying to put you on the spot. Yes, a cordless 18 volt Dewalt sawzall would be a perfect investment for you. You will find that with limited space, the smaller you can prepare your scrap, the more you can save up. Once you can start saving scrap, you will be suprised at how fast it adds up. Next thing you know you have a hundres pounds of copper, and maybe 200 pounds of aluminium, and so on. Then the checks get interesting!
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby bruce hylton » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:55 pm

I recently bought a "TwinCut" saw from Costco for $129.95 plus tax. Less than a week and wore out the blades and ruined the guard. Took it back for a full refund and bought another. First saw cut up 1067 lbs of aluminum, 20 pounds copper, 170 pounds of steel up to 1/2" in diameter and a thousand rivets. Also cleaned 100 pounds of heavy brass by cutting lengthwise along the shaft of a pump I had found. I have just about every other tool you can imagine and nothing has impressed me as this tool did. Sears also makes one of these type saws.
bruce hylton
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Hades12 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:43 pm

A good battery sawsall works fine as long as you don't try to go for hours. I use one to do my work and went till my arms hurt before both batterys were dead last night. I really like an air cut off wheel also. works easerier then the chop saw on some stuff. the chop saw is much better when pulling motor windings though.

Used the Hot knife today to open up a compressor unit, still now sure if it is worth the money for the gas.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby oober » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:36 am

If your cutting thin non ferrous material a cordless circular saw with a metal cutting blade will work great. Conduit, Copper Water pipe, Aluminum gutters, sheeting, it will cut it all.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage