CRTs - To break or not to break

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

CRTs - To break or not to break

Postby RD5 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:46 pm

There is a lot of misconception and false facts surrounding scrapping CRT(Cathode Ray Tube)Televisions. Since the only trustworthy people I can go to for sure is realcent. I have about 10 computer monitors/televisions in the scrap area and it is getting larger. I've heard A LOT of things about CRTs exploding (or what I would believe is imploding). I was wondering if I should keep all of these tubes intact before I go recycle them completely. What should I do? Break or not break?
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Re: CRTs - To break or not to break

Postby hobo finds » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:55 pm

By me you can drop off the tubes at Goodwill for recycling. You can remove all the good stuff and then re seal the plastic case, and they will take them. Do not break the tube. http://reconnectpartnership.com/items.php
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Tantalar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:01 am

with precision skill, you should be able to harvest the copper out of it without having to break the tube. While breaking the tube might be quicker and easier for you, it is more harmful to you, and less responsible and is just a jerk thing to do. I am lucky that there is a spot around me that takes them for free. Now that it is a state law in many states and probably now federal law, it's one thing that is actually good for scrappers for a change.
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RD5 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Yeah, I've taken them all off without breaking, I was just concerned if this imploding thing was true.
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hades12 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:51 pm

They pop real good, and sometimes throw glass.

I do not break the unless I am putting them in the trash can.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby RD5 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:28 pm

So they would only pop if they were dropped or something like that? I might just break'm just in case.
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hades12 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:14 am

The front glass is real tough and will not just break from a short drop. has to hit the rear to break easy.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Robarons » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Is the tube something that might hold a charge? I heard TV's and computers can give you a nasty shock if they still hold a charge
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:20 pm

Don't break them!
The CRT or cathode-ray tube monitor contains 4 lbs. of lead and smaller amounts of cadmium and mercury
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Short answer: don't break the tubes. Don't even take these things apart.

Long answer:

CRT recycling is regulated at the federal level and by many state governments.

In many states, dismantling CRTs for scrap is illegal unless you have a specially licensed facility. This is because of the hazards involved, mainly:

1) the risk of electric shock (capacitor discharge)
2) risk of the tube imploding
3) disposal of the glass tubes, which are hazardous waste

The glass in CRTs contains lead, and many computer monitor tubes also have barium in them. When one of these tubes breaks, it emits a cloud of contaminated glass dust into the air. This is not something you or anyone else should be breathing in.

While the front screen portion of a tube is very resistant to cracking, the rear portion normally housed inside the device is surprisingly fragile, and pulling or pushing on a component near the neck can suddenly pop the whole tube. Some televisions also have the yoke glued to the neck with epoxy, so they are impossible to remove safely without heat.

With all the ways to make money scrapping, I would recommend avoiding CRTs. When you factor in the regulations, hazards, labor, and small amount of metal produced versus the large amount of trash they are not worth it to the small time scrapper. Companies that make money recycling them legally are doing high volume and getting recycling credits from the manufacturers. The refurbish/resale market for most CRTs is nearly dead.

There have been several posts here regarding "tricks" for dealing with CRTs. One was to charge a small processing or recycling fee per unit to the customer and then take them to Best Buy for recycling, pay $10 each to recycle them and in return receive a $10 gift card.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage