Copper Scrap Question

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Copper Scrap Question

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:38 pm

I've never actually scrapped anything before, but I have been stripping a lot of copper wire over the last year or so and now I have a decent pile of beautiful copper. Personally, I almost hate to just scrap it for cash. Ideally, I would like to keep all the copper, just in a more convenient form. I have no idea if this is even possible, but it would be cool to have it melted into bars or rods or anything solid. I suppose that, worst case scenario, I could take it in and use the cash to buy cents or even silver. But that doesn't seem as fun. Any advice would be appreciated because I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Copper Scrap Question

Postby scrapman1077 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:07 pm

once YOU melt it, it will be unrecognized and you will get a lower price when you sell. If it were me, I would sell and buy silver!
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby GTOJohn » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:29 pm

second on that - sell the wire - and buy both silver and pennies.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby jasmatk » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:28 pm

i agree with the above :roll: cast it into something cool and anyway ive never had a yard turn down copper if its wire or blocks of copper its all copper ,#1 is #1 And #2 is #2 ,pipe,wire,buss bar, rod, all yards have the ability to test metal for its content they have a gun they point and it burns a small spot and bingo _% of whatever,and if they dont go to another yard so if you want to melt it than melt it how are you going to melt it I melt metal and im just curious as to how others do it compared to me :D send me a pm with any questions
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm looking for some clean copper scrap. Send me a PM if you're willing to ship it. I could either buy it or we could work out a trade for bars...
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage