Christmas Lights...... the end of an era

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Christmas Lights...... the end of an era

Postby glockngold » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Two years ago I switched where I primarily sell my scrap after being told that Christmas lights wire would not be taken anymore.
So I have been going to my current place for the last 2 years & they would take Christmas lights wire with the glass bulbs still in & they would pay 1/2 of whatever high grade insulated wire would pay.
Then 2 weeks ago I was told that all glass had to be removed, but they would then pay high grade price.
Seemed too good to be true, but I watched TV while pulling out the glass bulbs, so I figured it was free money (sort of).
I took some in today & was told no more.
They said I now could throw it in with shred. (.09/lb)
(the boss was nice about it & did take my wire this time, "but that's it" he said).
The end of an era. I guess I will phone around to see if anyone else has changed their policy back to taking Christmas wire, but I doubt it.

Today's take:
Insulated wire with Christmas strands lumped in at .90/lb ----- $22.50

Also took in some mixed #2 copper about 5 gallons. 44lbs at 2.90/lb ----- $127.50

I was a little concerned about the #2 since some of it was burned off, but no one said anything.
glockngold

Re: Christmas Lights...... the end of an era

Postby rambo_k9 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:41 pm

I had several large strands of Christmas lights that I took the time to separate. The plain green wire went in the insulated bucket and the wire with bulbs went in another. I got 1.00 a pound for insulated, and .10 a pound for the specific item of "Christmas Lights" listed on the price sheet. To me it was worth the 25 minutes to untangle and unwind and separate the wire from the lights. I'm in NJ and things are different here... No really.. I mean DIFFERENT...lol Enjoy.
rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage