Appliances Thread

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Appliances Thread

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:10 pm

I started this thread to get more info on how to maximize scrap value of appliances and how to do any of the disassembly. Washers, dryers, washing machines, refrigerators, microwaves, deep freezers, etc. Soooo, who has done this a lot? Any safety hazards? Tips to be more efficient?
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Re: Appliances Thread

Postby hobo finds » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:06 pm

Freon issue "to cut or not"
I remove all easy to get to motors from appliances.
I breakdown all microwaves remove motors (many) and use the shell to put steel cans, nuts, bolts etc in. When full take to the yard
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silver » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:14 pm

You can save the contacts from the cycle switch. Most of them contain silver, not much but they add up.
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Also lots of change in dryers to find as you break them down! My last one had over $4.00 in there! The only dryer I broke down that had no change in it whatsoever was my own! :lol:
hobo finds

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:42 pm

Haha that's good advice hobo finds.

Thanks everyone I'll post any specific questions when I get my first crack at something.

AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby messymessy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:56 am

I've never tried it, but I think you could get much more than scrap if you removed working parts and sold them on Ebay. Tough part would be determining whether they work or not.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby adagirl » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:05 pm

I am not sure if this post fits in with the intent of this thread, but here is my question: my wife recently decided it was time to get rid of the George Foreman grill she has had since college. Besides the copper, is it worth trying to pull this thing apart for the metal? Any suggestions on how to get this thing apart other than just hammering away at it?
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:43 am

hobo finds wrote:Also lots of change in dryers to find as you break them down! My last one had over $4.00 in there! The only dryer I broke down that had no change in it whatsoever was my own! :lol:

Yeah, that's the experience when I took apart my own dryer. Of course I'm the only person
that ever used that dryer for it's whole product life and I tend to be good about not leaving
change in my pockets. It occassionally happens but pretty darn rarely.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:39 am

adagirl wrote:I am not sure if this post fits in with the intent of this thread, but here is my question: my wife recently decided it was time to get rid of the George Foreman grill she has had since college. Besides the copper, is it worth trying to pull this thing apart for the metal? Any suggestions on how to get this thing apart other than just hammering away at it?

If it still works take it to you local flea market/swap meet and sell it to one of the vendors there. You will get more than scrap and the grill will live on!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:42 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:I started this thread to get more info on how to maximize scrap value of appliances and how to do any of the disassembly. Washers, dryers, washing machines, refrigerators, microwaves, deep freezers, etc. Soooo, who has done this a lot? Any safety hazards? Tips to be more efficient?

Save all the knobs and sell those on e-bay. If your microvave carosel plate is intact, sell it on e-bay. The washing machine tubs are worth more than scrap because people use them as an outdoor fireplace.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby natsb88 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Thogey wrote:If your microvave carosel plate is intact, sell it on e-bay.

+1

Get the make and model number off the microwave before you junk it so you can identify the plate in the listing. I sold one a couple years ago for $20 or $30. I had a smaller one a couple months ago I threw up as a store listing for $15 and it sold in like three days. Throw the little plastic roller ring in with it too. People drop or crack the plates and the manufacturers want $50 - $100 for a replacement (if they are even available at all), so there's a nice market for used glass turntables on eBay :thumbup:
natsb88

Postby hobo finds » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:28 am

I am saving all heating elements from appliances when I get a full box of them I am hoping they pay stainless steel for them
hobo finds

Postby Hades12 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:32 pm

hobo finds wrote:I am saving all heating elements from appliances when I get a full box of them I am hoping they pay stainless steel for them

My yard pays SS for them.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:08 pm

Found a coffee maker in the dumpster, I'll see if it has anything besides the cord worth scrapping.

AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby CrazyTom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:40 pm

I just took apart the old dishwasher I replaced this weekend.

The heaviest and most valuable piece of scrap is the motor, followed by the wire then the steel.
One little piece of brass was in the water connection.

Dishwashers are mostly plastic. I also discovered that this one had Torx screws, which I fortunately
had the size. Took me about an hour to separate all of the metals. Probably made less than minimum
wage but I had nothing better to do. And it is always better than throwing it away!
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom's equation; More Traffic + More Miles = More Metal
CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:22 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:Found a coffee maker in the dumpster, I'll see if it has anything besides the cord worth scrapping.

Other than the cord, there was nothing but plastic except an aluminum piece that comprised part of the heating pad, which ended up being paid as unclean steel do to the screws and plastic. So break-down was not really worth it in this case, although it was a really cheap model and I'd be willing to try again if I run across a more upscale type that looks like it has more metal parts.

AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby fansubs_ca » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:38 am

CrazyTom wrote:Dishwashers are mostly plastic.

Well my Dad's old dishwasher was mostly plastic but my old one (that I got with
my house) was mostly steel. I think it died a little over a year back, though I'm
sure it was as old as I am! I'm actually amazed how long it held on! I thought it
would be the first thing to die but it made it about a year longer than the fridge.

So if you get a really heavy dishwasher from the early 70s you'll get more money
out of it.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage