Vacuum Cleaners

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Vacuum Cleaners

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:39 pm

There are three vacuum cleaners sitting out for trash down the street from me, are they worth bringing home to take apart and scrap or should I just go cut the electric wire off for the copper and leave the rest?
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Vacuum Cleaners

Postby hobo finds » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:05 pm

They suck! LOL breaking them down is easy! Elect motors go for .30 a pound here. A few screws and thats it
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:15 pm

You can almost always fix them. The impellers are usually gunked up.

You don't even need a screwdiver to scrap them, just a hammer.

Check the bags, with gloves, for goodies.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby hobo finds » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:33 pm

If you ever get a Dyson you can sell them for good money!
hobo finds

Postby Hades12 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:54 pm

I get the cords and make drop cords out of them, they are generally a good gage.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:57 am

hobo finds wrote:If you ever get a Dyson you can sell them for good money!
I parted out a Dyson on eBay a while back and did good. Most of the parts on them are in demand.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks everyone. I saw them at about two in the afternoon and went to get them around eight pm so traffick would not be bad since there was no where to pull off the road, all of them had been taken. Last week I got a sewing machine from the same house. I think they might be moving so I will have to watch that house on trash day
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 am

stonewallrabbitry wrote:Thanks everyone. I saw them at about two in the afternoon and went to get them around eight pm so traffick would not be bad since there was no where to pull off the road, all of them had been taken. Last week I got a sewing machine from the same house. I think they might be moving so I will have to watch that house on trash day
Bummer dude, ask them if they have any coins :D
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage