Ever scrap an entire car?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Ever scrap an entire car?

Postby Morsecode » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Looks like the '99 Ford Explorer might need repairs more costly than I'm willing to spend. Can you bring (in this case tow) a complete vehicle to a typical scrapyard? Any clues as to what that might bring? I think an Explorer weighs in around 3800 lbs. Should I be yanking the converter out of it first, or is that too much trouble?
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Ever scrap an entire car?

Postby natsb88 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:31 pm

I scrapped an Astro cargo van a few years ago. Pulled the catalytic converter off, some aluminum/copper radiator stuff, the alternator and starter can go as electric motors. Pulled the side view mirrors off as spares since they also fit my Tahoe and my parents' Suburban :lol: Pulled the radio out for eBay. Wasn't much for interior parts since it was a cargo van but you can browse eBay to see if any of that stuff is worth pulling. Then a guy from down the street towed it to his little garage to pull some miscellaneous parts and trim pieces off for an Astro he was fixing up. He tried to save the windshield but it cracked as he was cutting the last bit of the seal :( . Then he drug it across the the river to a fire station carnival thing where they charged a buck to swing a sledge hammer at it :lol: . Then he towed it to the scrap yard and brought us the receipt and cash back. The yard I use buys whole cars. I think they were paying 7 or 8 cents a pound at the time for whole cars (clean steel scrap would have been 10 or 11 cents). They just want to see a clear title to prove you own the car.
natsb88

Postby fasteddy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:36 pm

yep 10-4 on Nate's version...get what you can and ebay/CL then the title and tow to the scrap yard. Some times an auto salvage will pay more if the motor/trans are ok. Check into that also.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks, guys.

Besides pulling out the battery I'm not sure what I'm qualified to salvage myself :? Batteries here are scrapping for $10. Now that I think about it, the seats are in nice shape...I guess I could figure how to yank them out.

It certainly makes sense to check the auto salvage yard first. I suppose they should be able to tell me over the phone what they'd pay for a specific year, make and model.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby natsb88 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Oh yeah, forgot about the battery. I pulled that out too, along with any easily accessible copper wire. And I think the guy that drug it out there pulled the wheels off to keep a set of winter tires on. If you go out to this yard during the day on a weekday when they are less busy they'll pick it up with the forklift and let you take the wheels off. If you go out on a Saturday or later hours when they are busy they can't take the time to mess around with it. The wheels/tires might be worth something on Craiglist or eBay, or even just as scrap on the next trip if they are an aluminum alloy.
natsb88

Postby messymessy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Before you get too far along dismantling your Explorer, be sure to call local junkyards and see if any of them want to buy it. I've sold two cars to junkyards and been given a price around scrap value based on curb weight. The big advantage is that they come and tow it away for you. Another advantage is that my scrap yard requires the tires and gas tank be removed before they will buy a vehicle and you don't have to do this if you call a junkyard. If you go this route, be sure to call around and get offers from different junkyards.

I've gone the other route too. I've removed the valuable parts from a cargo van and then sold the remainder for scrap. Easy money is the battery and catalytic convertor. Take some pictures and list the year make and model on craigslist. After you are done parting it out, remove anything leftover that is small and valuable, such as tail light assemblies, grills, hood ornaments, mirrors and hub caps. Remove any easy copper wire, the radiator and maybe the alternator. Sell these for scrap. Be sure to remove the owner's manual. I usually get $10 or $15 for it on ebay. I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting.

Good luck.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Keep_Stackin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 pm

We recently had to scrap a car for my grandfather as he moved into a nursing home. Scrap yard took the whole thing and paid more for the scrap than the Kelly blue book value. Just needed the clear title. Easy transaction.
Keep_Stackin

Postby metalstacker » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:56 am

I'd personally try to sell it on Craigslist first. If there isnt any hits after a week or two then try to part it out if you have the time. Always call around for the best price when scrapping. Yards usually will haggle with you too. Just be sure to do your homework and you'll get the best price for it at that point in time.

As for the Cat, it may be worth cutting out with a sawzall. See what they are going for on ebay. I remember my old 80's BMW had a cat that was high in PM value and they were being sold on ebay for 900-1000 bucks!!!
metalstacker

Postby Engineer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:43 pm

+1 on Craigslist, but find out what the scrap value would be first so you don't give too much away.

I bought a non-running car once just for a set of winter wheels, but wound up pulling the whole interior because it was nicer than mine. I also yanked out all of the stuff that has a tendency to break on that model, and having a spare power window controller saved me $100 the next year. When I was done, I did just like Nate said with the forklift and wheels/tires. Had a guy waiting in line behind me who tried to buy them before I even got the wheels off the car.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby smackvay » Tue May 14, 2013 3:46 pm

In WV you would get around 400-425 minus the cat convertor and aluminum wheels if it has them.
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby RGJohn » Tue May 28, 2013 2:06 pm

Morsecode wrote:Looks like the '99 Ford Explorer might need repairs more costly than I'm willing to spend. Can you bring (in this case tow) a complete vehicle to a typical scrapyard? Any clues as to what that might bring? I think an Explorer weighs in around 3800 lbs. Should I be yanking the converter out of it first, or is that too much trouble?

-----

I'd been hauling horribly rusted steel pipes to a scrap metals buyer in Denver (5555 Franklin Street) and I asked them about junk vehicles. They said $275 per ton delivered to their lot but the catalytic converter must be on the vehicle. I said " Well, do I have to remove the gas tank and tires?". She said no, but the cat MUST be present. Lots of emphasis on that point.
That was last summer ( July 2012) so the price might have changed.
Traditionally the gas tank must be gone and you must have the tires gone so I was surprised to learn of the changes. I've got 2 Toyotas largely stripped of useful parts but they still have their cats so............
RGJohn

Postby scrapman1077 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:43 pm

"the cat MUST be present"

They are getting the car for almost free if you "MUST" leave the cat on.
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverbaron » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:45 pm

How much palladium is in a catalytic converter . was just curious
silverbaron

Postby hobo finds » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:45 pm

Curb weight of a car here...

http://cube.hoegh.com/
hobo finds

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:43 am

silverbaron wrote:How much palladium is in a catalytic converter . was just curious

It depends on the cat, the car, the model, the layout.........
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage