Copper Slabs Refined?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Copper Slabs Refined?

Postby mj74 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:33 pm

I have a small pile of copper slabs that I have retrieved from computers,and I was wondering if it would be possible to have them
refined into bars. I have never sent anything away to be refined,so advice about companies,and prices would be great. TIA!
mj74
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Copper Slabs Refined?

Postby silversaddle1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Copper slabs from computers? Please go into more detail.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:16 pm

Are we talking "small pile" as in a few semi-loads or "small pile" as in a few pounds?

It's not cost effective to refine copper unless you have many tons. That's why most scrap yards don't refine it themselves; they just resell it in larger quanitites.

The only sizeable "slabs" I can think of are either solid copper heatsinks or the lower copper portions of aluminum/copper sinks.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mj74 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:43 pm

When I scrap out a Dell computer there is a heatsink that rest on top of the CPU chip. I looks similiar to this one,but the fins are aluminum instead of copper,and the base that they are attached to is solid copper. I have about 4 lbs in these and others similar. Should I just toss it in with my other copper?

mj74
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:35 am

If the heatsink is solid copper you'll get #2 copper price at most yards.

If the heatsink is a copper/aluminum mix some yards will buy it as clean aluminum/copper radiator assuming there are no steel bits attached. You'll have to shop around as many yards don't see these often and don't know how to classify them and/or will try to buy them as just aluminum or electric motor.

If you go to the trouble of separating the aluminum fins from the copper base and lines, then the lines and base will go as #2 and the fins will go as aluminum.

Be sure to check each heatsink carefully. There are several that look like solid aluminum but are acually aluminum fins on a coated solid copper base.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage