Scrap Me?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Scrap Me?

Postby Morsecode » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:56 am

Ideas anyone?

Cutting torch? Airlift? :P

The current owner may give me permission if I can present a reasonable plan of attack.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Scrap Me?

Postby scrapman1077 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:38 pm

I did a unit like that many years ago, I was working for a scrap yard, he put a rolloff container there and we had use of a fork lift, all I had to do was cut it so the fork could get the bits into the rolloff and they would change it out every day. Yes a tourch is what I used, took about two weeks.
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:41 pm

That old track hoe is pretty cool. What is it, 1940s 30's?

What do you suppose it weighs?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby TXBullion » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:58 pm

What is the anticipated value? Any possibility to sell as is and get more and someone else can pay to haul it off
TXBullion

Postby Kurr » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:00 pm

Now THAT would be a GREAT bug out/SHTF/APC type vehicle!! Modded of course.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby Computer Jones » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Now this take me back, (I was 10 foot tall and bulletproof at the time)...

I helped cut up one very similar after the Spotted Owl made it useless and cost too much to move 30+ miles out of the woods. It was the mid 80's, I think scrap steel was going for 19 (or it might have just been 9) cents a metric ton delivered to Tacoma.

Took us three days with 2 torches 3 pickups and 4 men to get it cut and hauled into Forks, line, tracks, engine block and all. We chopped it into 50-60 lb chunks so we could lift and move the beast easily.

Oxy and Acetyl were furnished by the owner. We bought own own fuel to haul it to town and get out there to the woods.

Three days and all 4 of us had $150 tax free in our pockets (not counting any Cedar we might have found while we were up there).

Never heard what the owner got out of it. I think it fit in 2 dump trucks he drove down to sell the scrap.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:45 pm

Thogey wrote:That old track hoe is pretty cool. What is it, 1940s 30's?

What do you suppose it weighs?

No clue what it weighs. It's in the woods just off a fairway. Owned by the golf course, which has been in the same family since it opened in '62.

And to answer your question Jack...I got the feeling they wouldn't want me sub-contracting the job to someone else.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:36 pm

Attack top down with a Cutting torch. Be careful with the cabel and don't forget to take a 5gal bucket to toss the copper wireing into.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:40 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Attack top down with a Cutting torch. Be careful with the cabel and don't forget to take a 5gal bucket to toss the copper wireing into.

Is it worthwhile to do when you factor in all the time?
TXBullion

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:45 pm

TXBullion wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Attack top down with a Cutting torch. Be careful with the cabel and don't forget to take a 5gal bucket to toss the copper wireing into.

Top down w/ a torch is for safety. The bucket for copper should be worth while. I stripped a similar machine a few summers ago. It contained 14+ pounds ouf clean #2 copper.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
TXBullion wrote:

Top down w/ a torch is for safety. The bucket for copper should be worth while. I stripped a similar machine a few summers ago. It contained 14+ pounds ouf clean #2 copper.

What was the total haul$$$$$$ if you dont mind me asking. Just trying to see how much time is required in relation to what the proceeds will be
TXBullion

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Jack, I just striped the Copper off my machine. All of the iron and aluminum are still there.......waiting.

My top down chop souldn't be that big of a deal if/when I do it. The scrapyard is less than a mile away.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Jack, I just striped the Copper off my machine. All of the iron and aluminum are still there.......waiting.

My top down chop souldn't be that big of a deal if/when I do it. The scrapyard is less than a mile away.

got it, thanks
TXBullion

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:37 pm

I scrapped a few paving rollers with/for a company that I work for occasionally doing blacktop. We were scrapping a bunch of stuff from their truck yard and I was there as an adviser on how to get the most money. I had them separate the guardrail and re-bar from the dirty steel and they got a much higher price (unprepared #2 vs unclean sheet), plus all the copper from the equipment as Rodebaugh pointed out. Also caught them throwing out a bunch of printers and office stuff and pulled the cords and adapters, haha.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Engineer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:06 am

Any chance you could get it rolling with a case of WD-40? If so, you could use a dozer to pull it onto a flatbed. You'd need to take the bucket off first, but it should just have some pins you'd need to drive out with a BFH.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Engineer has the best plan if its actually possible to get those tracks to move at all - flatbed is how we scrapped the old non-working rollers which were several tons a piece.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby galenrog » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Found something similar in central Nevada last year. BLM would love to have someone haul it off, but will not allow it to be cut up on site. Major problems are that there are no passable roads within 2 miles and it is about 200 miles from nearest scrapyard.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:26 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:Engineer has the best plan if its actually possible to get those tracks to move at all - flatbed is how we scrapped the old non-working rollers which were several tons a piece.

I'm a lazy SOB an efficiency expert. :thumbup:

If the tracks are seized permanently, you could always roll it over logs. Just ask yourself how one of the Egyptian pyramid builders would handle the problem, then add something with a big diesel engine to replace the slaves.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silversaddle1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:32 pm

A Bobcat, pick-up and trailer, and my cutting torch could have that girl cut up and gone in two days. I can cut up a boxcar in one day, a locomotive in three. If that machine weighs 15 tons (and it should be at least that) if you cut it up into prepared # 2 steel and heavy melt/plate & sturctual, the payout could be well over $4500.00. Few things to think about. If you have a torch, convert it to burn propane. No big deal, just a new tip and you are good to go. Tip size should be big enough to cut the heavy steel. Your supplier should be able to recommend the right size. No need for a liquid oxegen tank, K cylinders will do just fine. Like said before, cut from top down. VERY IMPORTANT: The tracks may have tension springs in them. These put outward pressure on the End sprocket. Be very careful when cutting these or anything around them. They can kill you. Just know they are there and cut them carefully.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:56 pm

galenrog wrote:Found something similar in central Nevada last year. BLM would love to have someone haul it off, but will not allow it to be cut up on site. Major problems are that there are no passable roads within 2 miles and it is about 200 miles from nearest scrapyard.

Helicoptor that guy out.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:51 am

:|

Turns out I was talking to the wrong partner...the damn thing still runs!

"Scrap?! Nah...I use that to dredge the canals around the 13th fairway. Just did it five, maybe eight years ago."

:lol:

Lesson learned: find the right guy to talk to
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby TXBullion » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:11 am

Morsecode wrote::|

Turns out I was talking to the wrong partner...the damn thing still runs!

"Scrap?! Nah...I use that to dredge the canals around the 13th fairway. Just did it five, maybe eight years ago."

Lesson learned: find the right guy to talk to

:thumbup:
TXBullion

Postby uthminsta » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:09 am

Morsecode wrote:Turns out I was talking to the wrong partner...

Well, the thread was a fun read!
uthminsta

Postby chant1970 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 pm

"Just ask yourself how one of the Egyptian pyramid builders would handle the problem"

AILENS!
chant1970

Postby Bigsarge » Sun May 05, 2013 10:27 am

chant1970 wrote:"Just ask yourself how one of the Egyptian pyramid builders would handle the problem"

AILENS!

+3 to all abilities!
Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

Oh, it looks good on you though.
Bigsarge
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage