Scrapping Appliances

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Scrapping Appliances

Postby Hawkeye » Mon May 27, 2013 10:41 pm

I've recently started scrapping appliances (everything from microwaves and dishwashers to refrigerators) and was wondering if there is anything different I should be doing. So far, I've just been cutting off the cords and taking everything else for around $180 a ton. Is it worth my time to take out washer/dishwasher motors and other stuff?
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Scrapping Appliances

Postby hobo finds » Tue May 28, 2013 12:35 am

If the motors are easy to get out yes! Microwaves have a few of them. Dryers are easy, washers can be a pain. Also most washers dryers have alum sheet metal around where the knobs to turn them on / off easy to remove...
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue May 28, 2013 6:46 am

Something to keep in mind on microwaves, if there is a rotating plate inside, grab that thing and write down the model # on that bad boy.

Those replacement plates are in high demand on eBay.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue May 28, 2013 10:44 am

Refrigerators have copper, so do microwaves. Window-mounted AC units are loaded with copper. Get out a drill or screwdriver and open them up, poke around, and you'll find money!
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue May 28, 2013 12:30 pm

Hawkeye, check out

scrapmetaljunkie.com

He is (or was) a member here, he has several how-to's on appliances. A few appliances havr dangerous components, so read a bit; then have fun!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Tue May 28, 2013 7:52 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Something to keep in mind on microwaves, if there is a rotating plate inside, grab that thing and write down the model # on that bad boy.

Those replacement plates are in high demand on eBay.

I've got a couple of microwaves. Should I just do an auction or should I set it as a buy it now and for how much? I've never ventured into this kind of thing before, but it's interesting what people will pay for.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue May 28, 2013 9:33 pm

I'd figure out if the models you have are in demand, search completed listings, see what they sell for. List as buy it now, this is not an item that will get bids, but it is an item that people will PAY for if they need it.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Tue May 28, 2013 10:17 pm

Hawkeye wrote:I've got a couple of microwaves. Should I just do an auction or should I set it as a buy it now and for how much? I've never ventured into this kind of thing before, but it's interesting what people will pay for.

When selling common replacement parts, buy it now is the best option. People who want to fix appliances don't want to wait for an auction to end, only to be outbid at the last minute. The same goes for most repair manuals and diagrams. Auctions are better for rare and collectible items.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage