Help me identify the opportunity

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Help me identify the opportunity

Postby Be Nice » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:08 am

The house next door is getting torn down for an eminent domain project. I have already paid the owner a fee to take whatever I want out the house (there are some nice architectural items, mantles, stained glass, etc.). However, I was hoping you all here could help me think of anything I might be able to scrap that will be worth my while.

Let me know what you all think of.
Copper pipes
Wiring
Cast iron tub
Radiators and the supply lines - are those usually cast iron?
Valves
Replacement windows
Storm doors

I assume the copper pipes are worth it, but what about all this other stuff? The house is brick, so no siding.
Be Nice
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Help me identify the opportunity

Postby BenG76 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:30 am

It looks like you have a good list. The guttering should be aluminum so you could scrap those as well. If there is one of those used architectural places anywhere close by maybe ask what else they look for maybe sinks, toilets, light fixtures, etc. If it has some nice wood some of that may be worth salvaging as well such as cabinets or paneling. I know older homes in my area had a lot of wormy chestnut in them and people will salvage all of that they can from old homes here as it sells well.
BenG76
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Be Nice » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:23 am

Box gutters, so no aluminum. And I am not very interested in going 30 feet up :). I already outbid the dominant architectural place (they offered $200 for a mantle, the stained glass and some doors), so that is not an option.

I guess my question is whether it is worth it to remove these items. Like cast iron rads, are those worth anything? Aluminum storm doors? I have a job, so I am not interested in working an hour to make $8 - my time is better spent in leisure. Thanks again everyone.
Be Nice
Penny Sorter Member

Postby smackvay » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:33 pm

Be Nice wrote:Box gutters, so no aluminum. And I am not very interested in going 30 feet up :). I already outbid the dominant architectural place (they offered $200 for a mantle, the stained glass and some doors), so that is not an option.

I guess my question is whether it is worth it to remove these items. Like cast iron rads, are those worth anything? Aluminum storm doors? I have a job, so I am not interested in working an hour to make $8 - my time is better spent in leisure. Thanks again everyone.

If you want bang for your buck stick to big ticket that you have listed
the rads will bring you 200 bucks for a ton of them(so do the math on what you can get fast)
im like you and I wouldn't waste time on anything small
something you didn't list is kitchen cabinets(if they are not rotten) grab the uppers anyone building a cabin, garage, or outbuilding will buy them
also ANY old doorknobs,trim, or anything old and wooden grab it
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby messymessy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:13 pm

If it has old windows, I've had good luck selling ornate window hardware on Ebay.

If it has fancy old radiators, they sell for more than scrap value. Same with a claw foot cast iron tub.

If it has a modern circuit breaker panel, you could resell it and all the breakers. If it has an older circuit breaker panel, you could resell the breakers on Ebay.

I'd only take the easy to get wiring and the big wires.

This might sound nuts, but you might find someone who wants the bricks. You might be able to sell them to a guy that cleans and resells old brick.

Good luck!
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Computer Jones » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:45 am

Don't forget the window counter weights if they are double hung windows.
Walnut flooring (actually Walnut anything) would be worth the time to remove.
Any paneling? That as well as good quality chair railing and crown molding might be worth the time.
Interior doors are easy to remove and not too hard to sell. Pocket doors are worth the hassle and time.
What's on the roof? Snow birds are good for quick cash. You're in luck if it's an old slate roof, old slates that are good quality can get you some good bucks.
You'd be surprised how much money there is in used brick, but that is going to take a lot of time and space.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Be Nice » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:32 am

Thanks for all the help. I will post pics a little later of some of the highlights.

The rads are the one open item. Is $400 worth a pulled muscle? :lol:
Be Nice
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Computer Jones » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:25 pm

Be Nice wrote: Is $400 worth a pulled muscle?

I've ended up with pulled muscles for A LOT less.
I was building a 40' long, 3' high rock wall for $150 back in the 80's when I developed my second hernia. You'd think I should have learned then.
I hate to admit it, but it took until my mid 40's for me to realize it's not worth it.

Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:39 am

Be Nice wrote:The rads are the one open item. Is $400 worth a pulled muscle? :lol:

Hire cheap labor for that job. ;)

Modern kitchen faucets cost $150 plus if it has the new stuff. If it's a real old place, even the handles from antique faucets could bring a decent amount.

In general, though...just grab the obvious stuff like copper that you can sell by the pound, and then yank out the stuff that you can't buy these days like nice woodwork, glass doorknobs, etc.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:23 am

check the vent pipe for the toilet. It is probably cast iron. However a friend of mine bought a building and it had 4 inch copper toilet vents!!!
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Re: Snow Birds?

Postby Be Nice » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:46 am

What is a snow bird?
Be Nice
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NiBullionCu » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:56 am

NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby messymessy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:35 pm

If you really don't want to do any work, you should have a demolition auction. I've seen people buy the dumbest things (if their labor was worth anything at all).
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage