4 year old Appliances are now Obsolete?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

4 year old Appliances are now Obsolete?

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:34 pm

http://consumerist.com/2011/01/sorry-yo ... parts.html

New scrapping opportunities for some?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: 4 year old Appliances are now Obsolete?

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:11 pm

This is increasingly common with modern appliances.

Problems with control membranes and circuit boards are the cause of many "new" appliances found in scrap yards. These are complex and expensive parts that are also more sensitive to shock and the elements than most parts in traditional appliances. If they malfunction or fail they can be near impossible to diagnose, so the only option is to replace the entire board or membrane.

Most of these electronic components are manufactured overseas at the time of production with only a small amount of extras for parts. Appliances are constantly being redesigned, and a subtle control adjustment to improve efficiency or ad a new dazzling tone often means a whole new board has be designed and manufactured. The result is that any complex electronic part will not have a lot of overstock for replacement parts.

Usually when I have an appliance with a bad board or membrane I save the parts I can and then scrap the rest of the unit.

Alternatively, If for some reason you have a non-repairable unit with a perfectly good control board, you can often sell that part for a premium - especially if it's out of stock everywhere else!
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby copperhead57 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Most modern appliances are garbage.

My mother has a 1940's GE refrigerator that still works.
Copperhead57
copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

Postby theirrationalist » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:19 pm

copperhead57 wrote:Most modern appliances are garbage.

Agreed
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage