Silver plate or sterling?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Silver plate or sterling?

Postby hirbonzig » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:54 pm

I've recently acquired a couple trash bags full of silver bowls,flatware,platters and other silver misc. items. Some are clearly marked sterling or plate, but some others are marked "IS","100" or something else. Does anyone know alot about silver marks or know of a good website about how to decode the silver markings?
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Silver plate or sterling?

Postby Verbane » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby wayne1956 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Verbane

AWESOME description of a liberal. I definitely have to remember it.
wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Fake and misleading marks are found on both silver and silverplate items. I've seen items marked "sterling silver" that had absolutely no silver in them. Also, the term "German silver" confuses many people as it has no elemental silver in it.

That site is a great start. After pulling out the pieces that will sell for more than scrap, my next step is usually to do a magnet test and then get out a grinder or file and cut through to see the inside. Plated brass and copper are easy to identify, sometimes a chemical test is needed to distinguish plated pewter from solid silver.

I also use a chemical test to separate grades of unmarked silver, but there are electronic testers available.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Dr. Cadmium wrote:...I also use a chemical test to separate grades of unmarked silver, but there are electronic testers available.

Please site specifics. I might be in the market for one.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Coppercrazy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:21 pm

If anything is marked 84 thats russian silver,somewhat less pure than sterling.Anything with hallmarks-consult that website-its very helpful...and be sure to look for examples of american coin silver.it can be marked coin or 900 but often old stuff just has a makers name...do your research before selling good luck!
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage