Unstripped copper wire

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Unstripped copper wire

Postby frugalcanuck » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:05 am

I was wondering if scrap yards take electrical wire that is not stripped yet.

I strip what I can but the old stuff is much harder to strip and I dont enjoy stripping it. It is starting to pile up and was wondering what category it would be and what a fair price is.

The stripped wire is stacking up as well but I have other plans for that.

Thanks for the info
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Unstripped copper wire

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:36 am

#2 Ins wire by me is going for $1.05 a pound
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Hades12 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 am

I take unstripped by the barrel and generaly get #1 or #2 at 50% or better. right now that would be 1.60 or so a pound. what i take is a mix, monitor guts power cords, larger stuff out of hvac equipment.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby messymessy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:39 pm

Most yards will buy insulated copper wire. Some yards buy at a set rate regardless of what you bring in. Some yards buy based on estimated copper recovery percentage, which is based on size of the wire and type of insulation. If you have enough wire to sort by size and insulation type, you should come out ahead selling based on recovery rate.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theirrationalist » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:12 pm

messymessy wrote:Most yards will buy insulated copper wire. Some yards buy at a set rate regardless of what you bring in. Some yards buy based on estimated copper recovery percentage, which is based on size of the wire and type of insulation. If you have enough wire to sort by size and insulation type, you should come out ahead selling based on recovery rate.

My yard buys and sells based on recovery rate. Estimated 70% copper is $2 per pound. estimated 50% is $1.50. estimated 30% is $.75 per pound. 12% or christmas lights are $.40 per pound.
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby messymessy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:20 pm

theirrationalist wrote:My yard buys and sells based on recovery rate. Estimated 70% copper is $2 per pound. estimated 50% is $1.50. estimated 30% is $.75 per pound. 12% or christmas lights are $.40 per pound.

And the realy nice thing about sellling insulated wire is that you get paid for the trash you would normally be throwing away if you stripped it. Think about it based on these prices.

Suppose you have 100 pounds of insulated wire with a 70% recovery rate. If you take it straight to the scrap yard, you would get $200 (100 pounds times $2 per pound).

Suppose instead that you take this same wire and strip it. You generate 30 pounds of insulation, which you throw away, and 70 pounds of bare copper. If you take this to the scrap yard you might get $231 (70 pounds times $3.30 per pound). So for all the time you spend stripping the wire, you net $31 more. Honestly, what's your time worth? Why does anyone still strip wire by hand? Unless it's really big wire, it all seems pointless to strip by hand.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hades12 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:31 am

The stuff I hand strip is the Degass wire in the monitors, I take the nasty sticky ones as insulated and get %55 most times. so hand strip on the larger ones is still well worth it. We got %60 one time and shot the bull with the guy for 30 minutes before unloading to get that price.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:14 am

I am stripping the wire on the good / easy stuff and saving it untill I have enough to get it melted down into a weight set. Thats the plan.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cyberdan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:34 pm

hobo finds wrote:#2 Ins wire by me is going for $1.05 a pound

I knew my recycler bought that kind of wire but didn't think it would be worth my time to save it. Last night as I was loading my car with copper and brass I came across a bundle of ins copper and I figuered I would toss it in the trash on my way to the car. I changed my mind and threw it in with my copper. I just got back from the recycler. I asked him if he took the wire too and he said yes. It only weighted a pound but it got me another $1.28

I have been throwing away so much of this over the last few months along with computer power supplies and cell phone power supplies. I know they have copper and steel.

Any body recycle computer power supplies and cell phone power supplies?
What is the going rate on these NOT TORN DOWN.
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:52 pm

cyberdan wrote:Any body recycle computer power supplies and cell phone power supplies?

Standard ATX power supplies, assuming they're intact, have the wiring still attached and you have 1,000 lbs or more: over $0.40/lb at an electronics recycling yard. Many local scrap yards will buy them for less as electric motor scrap, others will not take anything with PCBs. Shop around.

I assume by cell phone power supplies you mean the charging unit that plugs into the wall. With plastic housing intact and wire clipped many scrap yards will buy them as electric motor, $0.25-$0.30/lb near me.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cyberdan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Dr. Cadmium wrote:I assume by cell phone power supplies you mean the charging unit that plugs into the wall. With plastic housing intact and wire clipped many scrap yards will buy them as electric motor, $0.25-$0.30/lb near me.

I don't want to do any extra work on these other than clip the wire and throw it in another box. I know I have thrown out at least 250 of these in the last 12 months. That and all the wires and power supplies on dozens of computers. :(
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Postby cuppoor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:57 am

Dr. Cadmium wrote:
cyberdan wrote:Any body recycle computer power supplies and cell phone power supplies?

Standard ATX power supplies, assuming they're intact, have the wiring still attached and you have 1,000 lbs or more: over $0.40/lb at an electronics recycling yard. Many local scrap yards will buy them for less as electric motor scrap, others will not take anything with PCBs. Shop around.

I assume by cell phone power supplies you mean the charging unit that plugs into the wall. With plastic housing intact and wire clipped many scrap yards will buy them as electric motor, $0.25-$0.30/lb near me.

The charging unit you are talking about is basically a line input DC power supply. I have boxes of them that I have saved over the years as they often come in handy when I need a small DC power supply for a project or need to replace one that is missing or damaged. In the electronics world we refer to them affectionately as "wallworts".
cuppoor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby CrazyTom » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 pm

The yard I go to looks at the thickness of the insulation and the gauge of the wire. More insulation than copper = bad price,
more copper than insulation = good price.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom's equation; More Traffic + More Miles = More Metal
CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage