Brass/Copper flotsam

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Brass/Copper flotsam

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:34 am

So I was walking my dog on the beach yesterday and came across a old piece of timber. I notices a longe spike going through it and figured it was steel but a little gleam caught my eye. The spike is about one and a half feet long and 3/4 inch diameter. The surf had polished the spike and the top seems to be made of brass and the bottom seems to be pure copper by the color. I estimate the metal weighs about 2 pounds. I brought it home and tried drying the wood it is in out on my wood burning stove but it started off gassing a nasty chemical/petroleum smell. Does anyone know anything about this type of hardware? Could it be part of an old ship or dock? This is the first time seeing a larger metal spike that was not iron/steel. :?:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Re: Brass/Copper flotsam

Postby Dumpster Diver » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:22 pm

This is interesting...please post a pic.

My guess is from an old ship...does it smell like turpentine?

This would make for a cool contest. Be the first to ID this and win a prize!
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tn-dave » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:34 pm

Very Cool Find..!! - I would love to see a picture also..
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:05 am

Yes it does smell like turpentine so I cut it out of the wood this morning. I hope it was part of a pirate ship! I will get a photo up soon.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 am

So the picture of my friend holding the wood is after I cut it off the main part to carry it home. Then this morning I totally liberated it from the wood because of the turpentine smell. On closer inspection it seems the copper is almost mixed with the brass with some parts rosy copper and some more yellow brass. I can imagine that it was made in a more crude fashion than modern techniques but maybe I just hope it is part of an ancient ship hull. Any info/thoughts anyone has on it please let me know.
Attachments
IMG_0111.jpg
IMG_0111.jpg (72.25 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG (78.79 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:58 am

A really cool find. Definitely worth more than scrap value!

What you have is part of a shipwreck that is probably at least 150 years old, possibly much older. Before screws were widely manufactured, spikes were used to join sections of timber together. Brass was used because it resists salt much better than iron, which is also why other nautical items are usually made of brass or bronze.

Rarely these will wash up on shore lodged in a piece of wood.

The place to ask about this would be on a forum about shipwrecks, people there would be able to tell you much more.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:48 am

Cool, thanks!
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby tn-dave » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks for the pictures. That's got to be a once in a lifetime find.
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby abe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:28 pm

That has got to be the neatest find that I've seen in a long time.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:21 pm

That is cool. Could be a very historical find.

The rest of the ship may be near by. Was cutting that timber a mistake?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:11 pm

Everything is historical, but the turpentine smell had to go and I wanted to keep the spike. Their was nothing else identifiable on the wood. In Northern California here lots of wood, some whole redwood tree stumps/burls get deposited on the beach here. I have found pumice rocks from volcanoes somewhere out in the world that floated up on the beach. So I doubt one could track down where this originated. No identifying marks on the metal either.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Everything is historical.

You are correct sir! That's one I must remember.

"You can't build/drill/develop that, because it's historical"

Perfect!. It would be cool to 'nail' down the general specifics about that stake and make a plaque.

That is one nice nail!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:39 pm

Try to imagine how many of those were in the entire ship....wo!

I think you need to take it to Vegas and get on that PawnStars show. You'll be a celebrity! :D
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Dumpster Diver » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:05 pm

One thing strikes me as odd...There is hardly any patina on that thing. Almost looks polished...
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:23 pm

It has been polished by the surf and sand. Also the part stuck in the wood was nice and clean once I cut it out, but it did smell like turpentine.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Snake42 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:56 pm

Amazing find man. I would love to know where it came from.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Verbane » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:48 pm

I have watched a few ocean recovery type shows on TV, when they find something they store it in sea water. I would suggest talking to some ship wreck experts to confirm what you have and determine if you should do anything to preserve the spike.

Nice find!!
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:26 am

Be careful, Black Rabbit. That turpentine smell may actually be creosote! It is very bad to inhale the fumes of creosote.

Cool find. I remember camping on the beaches from Crescent City to Fortuna 36 yrs ago. Awesome place on this planet! The beaches were full of old lumber mill rejects.

Maybe some of those old redwood burls and stumps would have salvage value now. Wood turners love to work with highly figured wood.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:58 am

The burls and stumps do have salvage value. I have seen people selling them on craigslist and e-bay. I have a nice rack for hanging pans in my kitchen made out of a cool looking slab of old growth redwood I found on the beach. Somebody had already cut up a really big piece and left a bunch of pre cut slabs. I have not tried to go out with a chainsaw yet but may if I found a really cool chunk of wood that I had a good project idea for. If one was really industrious you could make high end furniture out of the salvage wood. People will pay some pretty good coin for artistic natural wood furniture.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage