CD/DVD Computer Drives

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

CD/DVD Computer Drives

Postby mj74 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Does anyone buy these whole? I have looked on Ebay,and did'nt see any takers.
mj74
Penny Pincher Member

Re: CD/DVD Computer Drives

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Yes.

The reason there weren't any takers on feebay is because it costs more to ship them then they're worth as scrap.

Working DVD-R drives are worth selling to refurbishers. Simple CD and DVD drives for desktops aren't worth the trouble anymore.

Ways to sell:

1) Sell intact as electric motor scrap.

2) Remove the control boards. Sell the boards as high grade boards and the rest of the units as shred scrap/light iron.

3) Sell intact as CD drive scrap. Few electronic scrap businesses deal with these as their precious metal return is very low. Usually they want them by the pallet load.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: CD/DVD Computer Drives

Postby ilyaz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Dr. Cadmium wrote:
2) Remove the control boards. Sell the boards as high grade boards and the rest of the units as shred scrap/light iron.

As a side remark, when I took apart several floppy drives, I noticed that some of them, though not all, had cast aluminum cases somewhat similar to those of hard drives. The rest was all iron and I am not even sure if the alum parts are worth the time to disassemble the drives.
ilyaz
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage