are computers made of stainless steel?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

are computers made of stainless steel?

Postby Tantalar » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:48 pm

I have been breaking down computers and I have a bunch of shells left over. Some are shiny and clean looking almost like a stainless steel type appearance. Others have a dull steel appearance. I was wondering if anyone who has sold these could tell me if any of them are stainless steel. I know stainless goes for a lot more than just "steel" so I would want to keep them separate. Right now I am keeping every single piece of the computers that is not plastic.
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Re: are computers made of stainless steel?

Postby mj74 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Not sure if any are made of stainless steel,but I have junked out a few that were aluminum cases.
mj74
Penny Pincher Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:28 pm

If a magnet sticks, it's just steel. If a magnet sticks, but very weakly, it could be stainless. If a magnet doesn't stick at all, it could be aluminum or stainless. Aluminum is much softer and lighter than stainless. Try scratching it with a screwdriver. Steel is probably the most common, some are aluminum, but I've never seen a stainless computer case.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Tantalar » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:41 pm

aluminum computer cases! how exciting that would be! I probably have at least one out of all of these haha. Thanks!!
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ilyaz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Interesting. I junked a few computers and all cases appeared to me to be steel. But I did not even think they could be alum so I did not look too hard. If you came across any alum cases, were there any patters like specific type of computer or brand or year it was made etc?
ilyaz
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:07 pm

The chassis from a desktop computer is usually galvanized steel.

Yards typically will buy empty cases with plastic and other junk attached as light iron/shred scrap.

If they're near perfectly clean many yards pay heavy steel price for them.

Sometimes computer equipment will have an aluminum chassis instead of steel. Usually it's rack mounted equipment like network switches and servers.

Stainless steel is not often used in the casing of electronic equipment. Notable exceptions are medical equipment and the top plates of many types of scales.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mj74 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:46 am

ilyaz wrote:Interesting. I junked a few computers and all cases appeared to me to be steel. But I did not even think they could be alum so I did not look too hard. If you came across any alum cases, were there any patters like specific type of computer or brand or year it was made etc?

I actually got a aluminum case yesterday while scrapping out a pallet of computer towers. I did'nt really look at the brand of computer it was,but from my experience a aluminum case will feel lighter than a steel one,except for things like medical equipment,that tends to be heavier,but still aluminum. :)
mj74
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Tantalar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:37 pm

I have been ripping all of the plastic off completely. I plan to crush them down to flat sectional pieces so they can stack into the truck easily. I could never see hauling back an empty computer case to the dump and paying bulky waste tokens like what my brother suggested lol!

Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Scrapper Troll » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Gents teh easiest way to tell the differance between stainless steel and aluminum is to hit it with a Dremel tool grinder. The stainless will spark while the aluminum will not spark. Quick easy effencient.
Scrapper Troll

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage