Scrap story

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Scrap story

Postby whatsnext » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Recently an old Mercury car had been removed by unknown persons from my departed granparents old place.

This car had sat for about 8 years untouched by anyone, in direct view of a busy highway.

What makes this interesting is I spoke to the detective and he made like this was almost a profession for some people. To the extent that when a car breaks down on the side of the road and you leave it there you risk having it taken even if it is on a busy road. Nobody would suspect that people hauling it away were not the owner/legit tower.

He said that the volume of old vehicles that went in everyday made it near impossible to trace by model alone.

He also said that some scrapyards dont like to "bite the hand that feeds them". We did not have the papers to get the information he needed to do a through the papers type investigation.

They also removed the scrap that was left from my gandfathers storage shed and random scrap.

The good news is I helped dad get a couple loads of scrap together from his land that had a barn burn down 30 years ago. Hunks of metal just under the ground, a tub, scraps everywhere.

One small pile still in the woods from the rails of a cow pen that got pushed out of the field and simi-burried.

It was a lesson how American made things in the past where made to last also. Not much to scrap from China's junk.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Scrap story

Postby abe » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:49 am

Some folks are getting desparate and will make a few bucks by any means. A couple years ago in the county where I live, a special policing force went around to each house where there were more than a few cars on properties. If the cars were not insured you were ordered to insure them or have them removed. Junk cars clutter alot of of the properties here and it is an eyesore.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:04 am

abe wrote:Some folks are getting desparate and will make a few bucks by any means. A couple years ago in the county where I live, a special policing force went around to each house where there were more than a few cars on properties. If the cars were not insured you were ordered to insure them or have them removed. Junk cars clutter alot of of the properties here and it is an eyesore.

How could they enforce that if the cars where on private property? I'd have told them to bugger off.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Economist » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:31 am

Wow Abe, where do you live? That's outrageous! What's the liability of parked, unused cars?

A lot of stuff "clutters" people's property, especially out in the country where they have some land to put stuff on. It's always going to be an "eyesore" to _somebody-. Freedom is supposed to mean that people can't micromanage other people's lives just because they're offended. Or, as the great economist von Mises said best:

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper. He must free himself from the habit, just as soon as something does not please him, of calling for the police."
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage