Does Anyone Save/Hoard Copper (Other Than Pennies)?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Does Anyone Save/Hoard Copper (Other Than Pennies)?

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:21 am

I'm curious if anyone here hoards copper in any form other than pennies?

For instance, there is copper wire and piping that I have. I get this from dumpsters and sometimes even find it sitting with brush at the curb in my area. I don't hoard it the same way as I hoard pennies, which are stored in places like coffee cans for many years.

I wait until I get a carload of stuff (which would include copper, aluminum, brass, stainless steel and some steel) and take it to the local scrap yard to get some extra walking around money.

Yesterday a carload of stuff paid me $126.00. 92# of stainless steel trash cans, etc. took a lot of space and I just had to get rid of it. There was also aluminum, copper, brass and steel.

One nice thing about this type of copper is that I store it outside in my backyard and don't mind having it outside in the elements. I wouldn't dare put a can of pennies outside. I imagine some might put coins in an outdoor shed, but I'd rather keep it indoors.

What does everyone else do?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Does Anyone Save/Hoard Copper (Other Than Pennies)?

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:46 am

I am not the scrapper that others here are, but I can't stand seeing perfectly good copper wire get thrown in the dumpster, so on local construction projects I have collected it and with most of it stripped it. I have saved some of it for use on projects (copper wire is great for tying up things, hanging pictures, etc) but as it accumulated I ended up taking the stripped wire to the scrapyard. Small bucks, but it was something, and it saved the wire from the landfill.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby MaxGravy » Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:30 am

copper-hoard.jpg
copper-hoard.jpg (458.88 KiB) Viewed 122 times
MaxGravy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:20 pm

No, aside from copper pennies I do not. The name of the scrap game is to get the material in the door and out the door as fast as you can. It only makes sense to hoard when there is a crazy price crash like in the second half of 2008.

Large piles of scrap copper invite theft and are far bulkier than pennies.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:56 pm

I hate going to the scrap yard because the money from the scrap never seems to overcome the screws I get in my tires.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:52 pm

MaxGravy wrote:
copper-hoard.jpg

Can you explain those photos? What year were the 10 oz. bars made? What is the story about the boat?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby MaxGravy » Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:29 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:
copper-hoard.jpg

Can you explain those photos? What year were the 10 oz. bars made? What is the story about the boat?

The 10oz copper bar was issued in 2016 for Realcent's 10th anniversary. Mine is #22. 8-)

Gold, silver and brass filagree are very common in Portugal. That ship is gilded brass. I also have one that's gilded sterling silver. Since brass is made with copper I include it in my copper hoard.
MaxGravy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage