Pre-Disassembled Scrap Piano. Very Cool.

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Pre-Disassembled Scrap Piano. Very Cool.

Postby Thogey » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:03 pm

My kid's school is moving. They had an old piano they chose not to move. Some of the folks there took it apart and this was left.

They called to ask me if I could haul it off. Man, this thing is a beast, a heavy bastard.

It's on the side of my house now. I hate to scrap it. You would not believe the sound you can make strummin this thing.
piano.jpg
piano.jpg (115 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
Last edited by Thogey on Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Pre-Disassembled Scrap Piano. Very Cool.

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:07 pm

I just can see you and the guys on payday drinking some beers and playin some cords!! :lol:
hobo finds

Postby Mossy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:43 pm

Oversized hammer dulcemer? Autoharp?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ilyaz » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:11 pm

What is this made of? How much of scrap value?
ilyaz
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:21 pm

Iron. It's gotta weigh 175-200LBS

If I get 15 bucks, I be happy.

What a shame to waste something like that for $15.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Thogey wrote:Iron. It's gotta weigh 175-200LBS

It will be recycled and used again.....turned into a bright green new tractor frame, a kitchen of Wagoner skillets, maybe some uncomfortable patio furniture for grandmal's house. :?:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:50 pm

All made in the PRC.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Thogey wrote:All made in the PRC.

now hold on....Wag skillets are made in PA? Surely John Deer makes his tractors here (USA) as well. As for grandmals patio iron love seat....they probably don't make those anymore anywhere :shock:

Edit to add:
yeah my spelling is questionable but my mind is sharp:
http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___ ... 343?Args=/
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Where do they make tank treads?
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Not sure.......the PRC?

I figured tank track would be steel....not iron. Iron is so darn brittle
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby hirbonzig » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:14 pm

I scrapped a piano last year and I think I got about $9 for the 150 lb beast and about 50 cents/lb for the bass strings, which were copper wire wound around a steel wire.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theirrationalist » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:23 am

The large bass strings are mostly copper winding, with a steel core. The rest of the strings are just iron.
Last edited by theirrationalist on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:27 am

All the strings stick to a magnet. But the large strings do appear to be copper wrapped.
Thogey

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:57 am

Rodebaugh wrote:

It will be recycled and used again.....turned into a bright green new tractor frame, a kitchen of Wagoner skillets, maybe some uncomfortable patio furniture for grandmal's house. :?:

more likely it will be turned into a police car.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:08 am

Aww man don't scrap it. There's got to be someone that wants it. Take it to next years Realcent get together and see if you can trade it for two or three 40% halves. :lol:
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:20 am

The next time I move that thing will be the last time.
Thogey

Postby Mossy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:22 am

Thogey wrote:The next time I move that thing will be the last time.

:lol: "One way or the other."
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Keep it and you can play with yourself! :lol:
hobo finds

Postby Thogey » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:11 pm

I don't need piano guts for that.

One day in high school, I pulled the same muscle 47 times.
Thogey

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Wait a minute. I always thought piano sound board frames were made of brass. If it is brass, you have got a little cash sitting there, ya know! Have you stuck a magnet on it?

The machined string screws are valuable to recycle in the music industry. They can be used again for pianos, or large harps. A family member started to make his own harps to sell, and was doing well with it until he ran out of parts. The hardest for him to get were the string screws.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 pm

It's Iron.

It's a big hunk of iron, and I'm suprised its not making your compass point to Arizona.

No brass.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

Wait a minute. I always thought piano sound board frames were made of brass. If it is brass, you have got a little cash sitting there, ya know! Have you stuck a magnet on it?

The machined string screws are valuable to recycle in the music industry. They can be used again for pianos, or large harps. A family member started to make his own harps to sell, and was doing well with it until he ran out of parts. The hardest for him to get were the string screws.

I just reread this thread and regret not trying to sell the strings and screws on e-bay
Thogey

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:32 am

scrapper2010 wrote:Aww man don't scrap it. There's got to be someone that wants it. Take it to next years Realcent get together and see if you can trade it for two or three 40% halves. :lol:

Truth be told, alot of old pianos and organs are being dumped cause....people don't want them. Period. Tuning/repairing one of those beasts costs hundreds, if not thousands in fees. Plus it takes up alot of space in a home, which many people don't have right now.

Which is a shame really. I witnessed several pianos getting crushed in Japan years back. The sounds those pianos make when being crushed by the excavator was teeth-grinding scary. The guy there remarked to me "It's the piano crying."
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:42 am

Thogey wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

I just reread this thread and regret not trying to sell the strings and screws on e-bay

And thats a good reason why you shouldn't immediately scrap first, ask questions later. You loose out to opportunities to make MORE money than you do by taking the easy way out.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage