This is AWESOME!

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

This is AWESOME!

Postby Old scrapper » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:38 pm

I am new on here, just started scrapping in March 2011. Had a friend lead me to scrapping. He knew a 20 acre plot and he couldn't do it for conflict of interest so my son in law and I started with my 2006 halfton. Since March we have hauled 13 tons on working on Saturday mornings becausee work our regular jobs during the week, scrap yard is open 8i12 on Saturdays. We have two large pieces to cut up but now doing my Dads farm. We are located in north central Alabama. This has proved to be very lucritive side line. Scrap yard pays all cash. I am new on here, just started scrapping in March 2011. Had a friend lead me to scrapping. He knew a 20 acre plot and he couldn't do it for conflict of interest so my son in law and I started with my 2006 halfton. Since March we have hauled 13 tons on working on Saturday mornings becausee work our regular jobs during the week, scrap yard is open 8i12 on Saturdays. We have two large pieces to cut up but now doing my Dads farm. We are located in north central Alabama. This has proved to be very lucritive side line. Scrap yard pays all cash.
Old scrapper

Re: This is AWESOME!

Postby Robarons » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Sounds like you have found your calling.

I can tell you excited because a lot of pointed were repeated =)
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Old scrapper » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:48 pm

Hey Really sorry about the message repeating. Just glad I found this site. My son in law and I have been cleaning an old farm of old farm implements and items the past three weekends and have been averaging $2-300 a weekend for about 3-4 hours work. Scrap yard is only open from 8-12 on Saturdays and this is the only time we have to scrap due to our jobs.
Old scrapper

Postby Tantalar » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:34 pm

Yeah that certainly is awesome. All I have to say is - Enjoy it while it lasts because it wont hahaha. I did a big job with my brother once and you know its like a once in 1-3 year thing. It's such a thrill to bring it all in like that though! Here's to finding more big jobs like that!
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby spcake89 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:39 am

I Just Got lucky myself a buddy and i are very good friends with a local farm owner that said we could have his scrap metal if we would be willing to cut him in on the profits. well he was apparently very pleased with us because he called some of his buddys and got us another 25 farms to clear out in the area so far just frim his farm we have gotten 6 tons of scrap steel at $300 a ton we hauled all that in two days and i figure we have another 3 or 4 days of work there yet. and we haul it all in a stock 88 ford ranger.
spcake89

Postby Old scrapper » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:22 am

Well got 2780 lbs of farm implements sold as HEAVY metal, for $389.20 this past weekend. Loaded another trailer of old scrap barb wire took it on Tuesday for 1400 lbs and another $189.00. Going to be colder this weekend so maybe another good load. If I could be sure of a steady stream I would retire and do it fulltime. Anyone one else from North Central Alabama on here?
Old scrapper

Postby Tantalar » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:34 pm

I hope for your sake you aren't scrapping old/antique farming equipment. That stuff can bring in real good $$$ as display pieces!
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tractorman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:06 am

Tantalar wrote:I hope for your sake you aren't scrapping old/antique farming equipment. That stuff can bring in real good $$$ as display pieces!

Not only display pieces. There are also lots of usable parts that can no longer be easily found by the folks who collect/use/restore old tractors and equipment. Those guys are always cussing the scrappers!! ;) I once spotted a good piece on a guy's scrap trailer and paid the fella $40 for it. It would have cost me at least $400 from someone who knew what he had. The problem is that's its not real easy to identify what is good and what is not, if you haven't been around the stuff alot.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RGJohn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:34 pm

I agree with tractorman that there may well be great value in parts as well as decorator pieces. Don't be in a hurry to sell as scrap anything that isn't clearly such. It may well have a greater value that you can obtain with a bit more effort. At least 'Google' it; that's little enough effort and you can always take it to the scrapper another week if it proves to truly be junk.
RGJohn

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage