Japan 2 Shu - Do you think it is what it says it is?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Japan 2 Shu - Do you think it is what it says it is?

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Do any of you obsolete/historic guru's think this is what it says it is?

Think it'd make a fun KSA?
Attachments
2shu2.jpg
2shu2.jpg (36.02 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
2shu.jpg
2shu.jpg (30.16 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Re: Japan 2 Shu - Do you think it is what it says it is?

Postby uthminsta » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Think it'd make a fun KSA?

I bid a dollar whatever it is! :lol:
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:45 pm

uthminsta wrote:
OneBiteAtATime wrote:Think it'd make a fun KSA?

I bid a dollar whatever it is! :lol:

Now, now. We still have an hour and fifteen before I can make it official.... :lol:
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:49 pm

Yeah, I know. I have never seen one before, so I hope to hear from some of the real experts here. Question is, have you tested it? Or do you have a place (coin shop, jewelry store, etc) that you could take it to be tested (hopefully without ruining any numismatic value it might have)?
uthminsta

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

uthminsta wrote:Yeah, I know. I have never seen one before, so I hope to hear from some of the real experts here. Question is, have you tested it? Or do you have a place (coin shop, jewelry store, etc) that you could take it to be tested (hopefully without ruining any numismatic value it might have)?

I can test it, but don't really want to scratch it down the old abrasive dealio. If it's real it should be roughly 20% Au and 80% Ag. Curious to see if it looks real to the HARD CORE GURU's and if they've ever heard of one being faked. It doesn't look like the numismatic value is that high. They seem to go for around $65 on FeeBay and I saw one that was graded that went around $125. Probably not worth faking.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby wheatie_fan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:25 am

1. I see no reason to say it is not genuine. My reference has the dates listed as 1860-1869 and a weight of 0.75grams. I'd at least get an accurate weight.

2. If you wanted a better assessment, you should provide clear pictures bigger than 80x130pixels! :)

3. I disagree with "Probably not worth faking", especially as you value it at $65+. There are plentiful fakes of common coins that are valued at far less, like Morgan Dollars or Standing Liberty Quarters. The fact that it's a foreign coin that Americans don't understand probably makes it more likely to be counterfeited. That being said, I've seen lots of fakes of Chinese/Korean/Japanese coins, but none yet of this type. But I am no expert. See point #2.

4. A key component of determining authenticity is where and how you acquired it. "I got it from a dealer at a coin show who really knows his stuff" is a lot different than "I got it at the flea market from some sucker who only wanted $5 for it!". . .

-wheatiefan
wheatie_fan

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:28 am

color does not look like real gold to me - just a gut feeling.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:04 am

I have bought and sold several of these before. I have seen some obvious fakes too i.e. like the gold was half off. Neat little bars...Thanks for sharing the picture..Regardless if real or fake it is worth a bid. ;)
Copper Catcher

Postby Country » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:29 am

These should weigh in at 0.75g. They were minted in an alloy made up of SILVER (.771 fine) and GOLD (.229 fine). These pieces were Samurai GOLD.

A clear larger scan of the coin would help to determine its authenticity.

Here's another one:

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks for the opinions, guys. I owned it for about a week and then blew it out on eBay. If it isn't bullion, it doesn't sit around the OBAAT household too long. Got 37.99 for it. Picked it up for $5 at auction.

Pretty sure it was authentic, I did a BUNCH of digging around before I listed it. Don't want that reputation. The best part of this is that USPS has managed to misplace this thing somewhere.............
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverEye » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:05 am

Would you mind telling us what auction?
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:07 pm

SilverEye wrote:Would you mind telling us what auction?

:lol: Sure! In my town every Thursday.

Don't think it would be worth the roadtrip for most, but if you do come, I'll be the guy in jeans or slacks.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:36 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:if you do come, I'll be the guy in jeans or slacks.

Are you the only one wearing pants at all? I need to check this auction out!
uthminsta

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:43 pm

uthminsta wrote:
OneBiteAtATime wrote:if you do come, I'll be the guy in jeans or slacks.

Are you the only one wearing pants at all? I need to check this auction out!

Just sayin, Aaron, there are a LOT of scottish folks in Quincy.... haunting really.....
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics